Honda Shadow Forums banner

Scared's bike troubles

8K views 90 replies 20 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
Ok, so I checked all the fuses with an ohm meter. All good there. I unhooked the battery and left it off for around 45 minutes while I was checking fuses and searching around for any loose plugs. I was hoping the computer would reset itself and it would fire right up. It did not. I took a plug wire off and put a spare plug in it and it has spark. Good strong spark. It shocked the hell out of me and damn near knocked me on my butt! So, I started to look at fuel. The fuel pump comes on and cycles back off when I turn the key on. So that tells me that it is pressurizing the fuel rail like it's supposed to do. So I squirted some starting fluid in the air cleaner and it fired and ran until it ran out of starting fluid. So for some reason, it's not getting fuel.

I have a degree in automechanics and advanced electronics, but it's been 25 years since I've worked in that field. Pretty rusty.

Does anyone know what tells the fuel injectors to fire? Is it the camshaft sensor? Or something else?

Thanks,

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you're getting it narrowed down. Are the injectors plugged? Not to make light of things, but I couldn't help but laugh envisioning you checking to see if you still had an arm after that little jolt.:wink2:

#3 ·
Yeah, it's been two hours and my fingertips are still tingly.

Injectors shouldn't be plugged. It just suddenly died while I was doing 40 mph. No spit, sputter or anything. Running good, then dead.

#15 ·
No experience with motorcycle F.I. but I would check the throttle position sensor, may have became unplugged or chaffed wires (I have seen this happen on snowmobiles). Unfortunately a BMW scan tool may be needed.

Good luck

Bill

I'll look at that tomorrow also. Scan tool, wow! Pricey!!!

#9 ·
You didn't just get gas did you ? Not much problem anymore with bad gas and water, but thought I would ask. I worked on many Japanese cars so I can relate some of the operation to them, but your bike may be different. If the pump runs and primes good. When you hit the start button it should also run the pump. Can you listen for injector clicking with a stethoscope or hose. Hard to hear but you may hear clicking when cranking.
The crank sensor and cam sensors and temp sensor and air flow meter and throttle sensor, all tell the computer what amount of fuel to deliver from the injectors. If any of those connectors are corroded it can alter the process. Check connectors as best you can. Are there test procedures that involve computer codes ? Maybe loosen and re connect the main computer connector.

#11 ·
With my Tiger, it has to be tuned using special diagnostic software. I went in knowing that I needed the software and plug if I ever wanted to work on my own bike before I bought the thing.. The nice thing is that I can pull and cancel codes, check to see if my throttle bodies are balanced (for example), without pulling the bike to pieces to find out what may be wrong with it or what work might be needed or not.

Found this, for yours? Don't know if it will help solve your issues..

What models does it cover? ? HEX Code

As with all things BMW, there's a price to pay for it. And it might not find and fix your issues. But, if you plan to do your own work on your bike, it might prove cost effective over time.

Either way.. Best of luck, hope you get your super-scooter fixed soon!

#12 ·
With my Tiger, it has to be tuned using special diagnostic software. I went in knowing that I needed the software and plug if I ever wanted to work on my own bike before I bought the thing.. The nice thing is that I can pull and cancel codes, check to see if my throttle bodies are balanced (for example), without pulling the bike to pieces to find out what may be wrong with it or what work might be needed or not.

Found this, for yours? Don't know if it will help solve your issues..

What models does it cover? ? HEX Code

As with all things BMW, there's a price to pay for it. And it might not find and fix your issues. But, if you plan to do your own work on your bike, it might prove cost effective over time.

Either way.. Best of luck, hope you get your super-scooter fixed soon!

Woo! Pricey!

#14 ·
I am gonna start with this,,,,my experience right now is primarily with cages and we all know it may not relate to bikes,,,

With that said,,,on my S-10 the fuel pump is time controlled when the ignition is turned on so it could be dry and will run for a short time and then stop each time the key is turned on. I would crack a fitting at the fuel rail and see for sure that there is gas at the rails.

Of course there is the most obvious,,,is there enough fuel in the tank? Dont laugh or ask me why I ask this,,,very embarrassing!

The computers draw information from many sources to make all their decisions. It may be the sensors stated in other posts and I will add,,,crankshaft position sensor as another to check.

Good luck @Scared, hope you find the problem soon.

#16 ·
I am gonna start with this,,,,my experience right now is primarily with cages and we all know it may not relate to bikes,,,

With that said,,,on my S-10 the fuel pump is time controlled when the ignition is turned on so it could be dry and will run for a short time and then stop each time the key is turned on. I would crack a fitting at the fuel rail and see for sure that there is gas at the rails.

Of course there is the most obvious,,,is there enough fuel in the tank? Dont laugh or ask me why I ask this,,,very embarrassing!

The computers draw information from many sources to make all their decisions. It may be the sensors stated in other posts and I will add,,,crankshaft position sensor as another to check.

Good luck @Scared, hope you find the problem soon.

Thanks. I'll crack a line tomorrow. Seems like we are getting somewhere. I appreciate all the help!!

#19 ·
Basically worthless on diagnostics involving computer stuff, but will be on Standby if you need me.

-Gnarly

( once a subversive reactionary, ALWAYS a subversive reactionary. )

#23 ·
We`re praying with you...
Like Gnarly, I am an amature at this EFI, but learning as I swap that EFI 5.0 into my 66 Ranchero...
Got spark!!!
Check that again huh? :D

#25 ·
Got her home just fine on the trailer. I was a nervous wreck that she was gonna fall over getting it on and off the trailer, but it all worked out a okay. She's at home safe in the garage. I probably won't be able to start the daunting task of removing all her skins until Sunday. Got a bunch of family stuff the next couple of days. It's gonna be tough not working on it. I'm not sure when I'll get the call to head north for work yet. I spent a lot of today negotiating pay details and looking for a cheap apartment. I'm not finding many houses in the price range that I want to spend. I hope to be able to save most of the per diem money. So it looks like the bike will live back home unless I find some place with a garage up there.

Thanks for thinking of me!

#26 ·
When I seen you had posted, I was hoping you figured it out already...

It`s Just a shame that work gets in the way of things important...

Work is a 4 letter word,
D

#32 ·
Jason I been thinking about it, but it ain't done no good yet. But, I'm pulling forya!
Oh, btw, I told you the trailer would be ok, glad it was!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I'm glad it was too! Dropping my bike would have sucked and I was stressed about getting it home. 1/2 the battle is over. Fixing it will be the easy part.

#37 ·
I can't remember if you said the engine sputtered a bit and died or it just quit instantly. But if it was very sudden it probably is an electrical open circuit somewhere. Usually with an electrical problem you spend hours finding it and fix it in 10 minutes.
I used to work at Japanese car dealers for years and many times a customer would call and ask for advice and most of the guys would spend some time trying to help. So if you called a dealership they may be helpful if you give them specific symptoms . They may even say "oh yeah, we have seen several do that - you need a new...." Explain that you would like to get it running at least to bring it in to them for service.That can help a lot.
Maybe bike dealerships are not that way but at least you might get a tidbit of info.

#38 ·
Yeah, it died suddenly. I was thinking crank or camshaft sensor. I think that it is whatever tells the injectors to fire. I am going to pull an injector next and crank the engine and see if it's clicking. If not, I'm checking the sensor.

#39 ·
If you can get an injector out still connected you should see a spray of fuel as you crank it. You hear the pump run but does it actually have pressure. It could be that the pickup tube broke or some other weird thing causing it not to suck in fuel to pump it.
Just grabbing at straws.
Did you get a line loose a little to see if it has pressure? On the cars I have worked on the normal EFI fuel pressure was usually 40-50 pounds so be careful.

I just thought of another straw= Pull a plug to see if it is flooded. I had a car with a stuck fuel pressure regulator one time and the pump can put out up to 100 pounds if not regulated and flood the plugs.

#41 ·
I gotta pull all the Tupperware off of it to get to anything. That won't happen until Sunday. I'll check all that and get back.

#42 ·
You might call couple of BMW dealerships in the mean time and see if they will be helpful over the phone. Can't hurt. Ask if there is a common problem that could cause the bike to die suddenly.

#43 ·
Yeah, electrical problems are always fun.. Last time I pulled the tank on my Vic', I noticed that a fuel pump wire was badly abraded. Dodged a bullet there.. These things can be that obvious once you start pulling stuff to pieces.. So, Like you say, you'll likely know more when you start removing the faring.

You got some decent technical chops.. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

#45 ·
When I was working on military vehicles (M113A3 family of vehicles) we had one that was not charging. It took me 5 hours to figure it out, my supervisor would come by every 15 minutes or so suggesting that I swap out this or that part. Not my way of diagnosing, It turned out to be a connection under the instrument panel had worked loose. Those military connectors are great but they are hard to see if they are connected good and you have to check each one.

5 hours to diagnose,,,30 seconds to fix. Yup,,,thats the way it goes with electrical problems.

#48 ·
I'll bet @Scared has enough Sick Days banked to take off the rest of 2016 and all the remaining Win I mean frigid unrideable months.

-Gnarly

( that's what SHE often calls me )

#47 ·
You could call in with the reason= "I have eye trouble, I can't see going to work today".

But don't forget to wear safety goggles when working on the fuel system, or you may actually have eye trouble from that.

#54 ·
I respect both the gents, posting above about the RTW / non-RTW states.

However, that's a touchy politiKULL subject that will degenerate into this thread getting locked.
I can see it coming.

Back to @Scared's bike troubles, please! before we NEVER find out what happened.

#56 · (Edited)
Getting a little off topic here, I deleted all the political stuff out of this post so that this thread does not get locked.

Back to the bike.

I'm gonna pull the injectors tomorrow. It was brought up on the BMW forum that if injectors #1 & 2 are working, then it can not be a sensor. There are two sensors that could be causing the trouble. If they are good, I've got a broken fuel line inside the tank, which should be an easy fix. I'll post more as I work on it this weekend.

No more talk about RTW.

#57 ·
Getting a little off topic here, but RTW is nothing more than hidden agenda by the Republican Party to defund unions so that they can not contribute to the PAC funds for the Democratic Party. That is 100% what it boils down too. If someone does not want to pay dues, then IMHO, don't join a union. There are other jobs out there that don't require you pay dues. Take one of those. I continue to pay my dues even though I don't have too. Simply because if everyone stops, my union falls apart. That would mean extreme pay cut, no one to call when my employer tries to screw me, and no training. Pretty simple. Everyone has a right to work, regardless of this stupid law. What about a right to a college education. I should be able to walk in to any college and demand that they train me for a job without paying them a dime. What's the difference?

Republican or Democrat. I don't consider myself either. Too many things that I don't like about either one. Especially this election.

RTW was brought up and I feel like I've said my piece. It's my thread.

Stepping off the soap box now. End of subject.

Back to the bike.

I'm gonna pull the injectors tomorrow. It was brought up on the BMW forum that if injectors #1 & 2 are working, then it can not be a sensor. There are two sensors that could be causing the trouble. If they are good, I've got a broken fuel line inside the tank, which should be an easy fix. I'll post more as I work on it this weekend.

Suck it up buttercup, stay up and fix it[emoji41]
Sorry, had to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#62 ·
Another reason why one past 18-year matriCatastromony was enough to convince me....

Marriage is a fine institution.
But I worked directly with the hostile combative inhabitants of an institution for 20 years.

Daymsure ain't gonna LIVE in an institution.

Only time The Redhead tried that Look?
Cost her passenger rights for two weeks.

Cruel and unusual, she said.

( I've learned to smile at her sweet lil compliments. )

-Gnarly

(sarcasm: just another free service we provide)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.