What type of oil to use - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What type of oil to use

Just looking for some advice from all you veteran Shadow riders out there. I'm a new owner of a 2003 Shadow Spirit 1100. I was in my Honda dealership today & they are charging $10 per liter for Honda 10/40 oil. Is it necessary to use Honda brand oil? What do you guys use?
ddgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

No ,you do not have to use Honda oil. I use Castrol Its always worked for me. The same for oil filter. you don,t have to use honda. I like a NAPA brand. One thing . its always a good idea to use the same oil every time. I mean stick to one brand. For winter i use 10w 40 and for hot weather 20/50. i also use a full synthetic.... but once you start using full synt. you can NEVER>>> go back to regular oil. But you can use a synthetic blend. then if you ever want to go back to regular oil you can. And change you on oil. its not hard. the last time i had mine changed they charged me 50 bucks.but thats been a long time back . I hope this helps. T-bone28

T-bone28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

One word. Amsoil.
trjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, I'll vouch for Amsoil. Use the 10W-40, and you won't be disappointed. I run it in everything. My cars, motorcycles, lawnmower, everything. I don't think you can buy a better oil, but that's my opinion only. Others, I'm sure, will disagree with me, but I've had nothing but success with it, even after extended drain periods. (My car has just shy of 200,000 miles on it. I've changed the oil every 25,000 miles. Never had a problem, and it's never been in the shop for anything outside of a tune-up. Changing to Amsoil quieted the top end of my 1986 VT700, and my 1983 Nighthawk 650.)

What I don't understand is the whole debate on switching back to conventional oil after running synthetic. It doesn't make sense to me. I do understand that you shouldn't switch to synthetic after running conventional oil for many years. The convention oil sludge coats the inside of the engine, and causes the gaskets to dry out. When you put synthetic in, it cleans the sludge out, and since the gaskets are dried out, you may get leaks. This makes sense. But what possible damage could putting conventional oil cause in an engine shiny clean inside after running synthetic? Something doesn't add up here. Others, please chime in and let me know what I'm missing!

In any case, change you oil every 8,000 - 10,000 if you run synthetic, and use a good oil filter. Read MarkC's website on filters. You'll learn that the best filters are not always the most expensive.

In all fairness, any decent oil will do you just fine. Synthetic or conventional. Just be sure you never use any oil labeled as "Energy Conserving" since its friction modifiers will keep your clutch from working properly.

Have fun!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone28
No ,you do not have to use Honda oil. I use Castrol Its always worked for me. The same for oil filter. you don,t have to use honda. I like a NAPA brand. One thing . its always a good idea to use the same oil every time. I mean stick to one brand. For winter i use 10w 40 and for hot weather 20/50. i also use a full synthetic.... but once you start using full synt. you can NEVER>>> go back to regular oil. But you can use a synthetic blend. then if you ever want to go back to regular oil you can. And change you on oil. its not hard. the last time i had mine changed they charged me 50 bucks.but thats been a long time back . I hope this helps. T-bone28
T-bone28,

In my opinion you just can't go wrong with NAPA oil filters. They are very high quality, maybe even the highest quality. They are Wix filters in a NAPA package.

John

2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 - Wife's

2002 Suzuki GSXR 600- Son's
Olivereaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

You may find it helpful to read the "Oilology"
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27123

Now, lets not get to carried away with the Amsoil, yea its good but its just like any other oil in that it will work good for some (maybe most) but it won't work for everybody. My bike didn't like it at all! I ended up going with 20W-40 YamaLube.
In fact EVERY time I've tried ANY synthetic oil in anything I've owned I've had to switch back to crude oil. Now the best I can figure that is because all of the vehicles I've owned were bought used and had a fair amout of age and miles on them.

They are people that have these bikes and like the Honda line of oils, my bike didn't like them at ALL!!
So not every oil will work GREAT for every application, I put the Amsoil in my bike and it didn't take long to figure out that that was a bad idea!

That's why if someone ask me about what kind or type of oil they can use they will probably get a multiple list.

If someone that has the same bike as I've got, with the same problems then I would tell them to try either,
Yamalube, or
one of the heavy duty truck oils.

One thing I'm SURE about,
there is no fountain of youth, and there is NO "Wonder" oil, only claims of them!
Amsoil is not a MAGIC oil!, its just a very good oil that a lot of people are happy with.
MarkC
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone28
"Myth"!!!!!
there is no reason why after using synthetic oil that you cannot go back to using a regular crude oil!
MarkC
Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
Now, lets not get to carried away with the Amsoil, yea its good but its just like any other oil in that it will work good for some (maybe most) but it won't work for everybody.
Now Mark ... that is not what my neighbor told me. The fact he's an Amsoil distributor doesn't change the fact that he said Amsoil is the best.

I use Amsoil 10W-40 in my '05 VT1100C. It seems to work okay for me. My shifting seems a bit smoother with the Amsoil as compared to the Honda 10W-40. But it wasn't a controlled test ... and I might be imagining more benefit than is truly there. But I've stopped worrying about my oil, so that counts for something.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

most synthetic oils now, if you read on the back say they are compatible with dino oils
s3v3rth3stars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3v3rth3stars
most synthetic oils now, if you read on the back say they are compatible with dino oils
That is because MOST synthetic oils are made from crude oil, they are crude oil molecules separated from the crude, then put back together. The newly connected chains of molecules don't exsist in nature so they can NOW be called synthetic.
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.