Honda Shadow Forums banner

Rusty gas tank. Petcock?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
I have a '97 Shadow Spirit vt1100. The original owner removed the main fuel line from the tank and the main fuel line hose because of rust it looks like. I have not tried to run the motorcycle yet because of the rust that I saw in the tank when I opened the gas tank filler neck cap. I'm going to send the tank off to have it renu liner done on it in rockville, md. before I start the bike for the first time. My question is, what's in-between the main fuel line and the gas tank? It must be some type of petcock or something? A pic and some part numbers would be great! Also, what have you guys done to prevent, or fix rusty tank issues?

Thanks. :nerd:

#3 ·
Man! You are a life saver!!! I just mapped out 90% of the parts I needed... I'm broke now, but at least after I get my tank lined I'll be able to fire up Barbra!

#6 ·
No holes, but I do have a baseball size dent in the tank. I'm hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Then its off to the paint booth!

#7 ·
Between the tank and the carbs you have a fuel pump and filter. With the tank off you could make a temporary fuel supply, energize the pump , and take the hose off at the carbs to run fresh fuel through the pump system. Then run some gas through the carb bowls by the drain screws, and pump all the old gunk out before trying to start it.

If you are up to trying to fix the dent and Bondo fill it like I did, you might try this trick for dents. If it is on a flat area it should work well, but mine was on a curve and only worked partially.

Attachments

#8 ·
Between the tank and the carbs you have a fuel pump and filter. With the tank off you could make a temporary fuel supply, energize the pump , and take the hose off at the carbs to run fresh fuel through the pump system. Then run some gas through the carb bowls by the drain screws, and pump all the old gunk out before trying to start it.

If you are up to trying to fix the dent and Bondo fill it like I did, you might try this trick for dents. If it is on a flat area it should work well, but mine was on a curve and only worked partially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbFhPrJ14w
Wish I had seen that video before I went to town on my tank dent. I ended up welding nails to it to pull, created small holes, tried to weld the holes shut, made bigger holes. In the end I discover the process of leading. Eventually I sealed the dent/holes and gas tank coated the inside for good measure.

#9 ·
I can relate to that . Sometimes we get in to the cave man mode and grab a bigger hammer to fix a small problem. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.