Probable blown head gasket replacement - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Probable blown head gasket replacement

Hey All!! So as some of you may know, I've been toying with a probable blown head gasket on my front cylinder for some time now. Im taking it to a shop in the next week or two to get confirmation. For $100 they will give the whole thing a once over and tell me all the issues they can find, which I'm sure will be many. So, as i prepare to replace my head gasket(s) and remove the engine as a complete novice, however mechanically inclined, I am looking for advice. Good guides or videos online, mistakes you have made, things to avoid. Do i even need to remove the whole engine or is it possible to replace the gasket on the front cylinder without removing the engine (compression on rear cylinder is 150psi so I'm not worried about that one) I am definitely nervous going into this one, but I'm sure with your help i can get through it. I do have my manual, and will definitely be consulting it, but i find personal advice very helpful. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys.

Last edited by WestCooper; 11-22-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:00 PM

Garage
Not sure if you can do it in the frame and still pull parts off easily.
Study the manual very well so when you have the parts in your hand there is no doubt about the direction or alignment, torque, etc. You have to replace all gaskets on that cylinder when you disturb the torques and remove the upper end bolts. The gasket below the cylinder will leak since it was loosened. And keep ALL HYDRAULIC VALVE PARTS IN THEIR PROPER PLACES. Learn how the cam timing is set also. Some good videos on You Tube.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:06 AM

One of my favorites is Mattyo's thread on his rebuild. It's long but good.

engine rebuild and more...

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

1998 Valkyrie Standard
2001 Valkyrie I/S

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, so after much consideration (and finding a friend with a garage) I have decided to go ahead and tackle this myself. I took it to the mechanic and they gave it a full once over, I've got a list of adjustments, things that need lube, rust that needs to be flushed, but I'm excited to tear her apart yet again. And hopefully put her back together running better than before. Thanks for the link to that thread, Ramie,
super interesting to watch that project come together. It actually inspired me to tackle mine. If anyone has any tips/advice all help is hugely appreciated. Also, I'm looking for a good reliable site or sites to order parts from. I'm having a hard time finding a site that has more than a couple parts for my bike, that also ship to Canada. If anyone has a parts website that they really like, I would love to hear about it. Thanks all!!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Follow up question, I'm getting prepared to get into this project at the end of next month (moving to a new city where friend with garage is so I can't get started yet) What gaskets at I going to need to replace? I guess I'm looking for a part number really, can I find these in my manual? I think I'm only going to open up the front cylinder, compression on the rear is 150psi so i don't feel like I need to mess with that. I've heard mention of needing to replace rings, are these the rings on the pistons? Anything else you guys know of that I'm going to need to get this done? Thanks for the help guys
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Best advice I got for you is take lots of pics while disassembling it for reference during the rebuilding. And check tolerances on all the parts you remove even if there not the part your replacing. That advice would have saved me a 2nd tear down when I replaced my gaskets and valve seals a year ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM

Also take the time to look at your piston rings and check the eng gap. That's where I missed a step the first time around. A year later I needed a 2nd top end gasket set due to the rings in the rear cylinder being bad, I should have cought the wear on them the first time but I didn't check them when I could have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
Put you year,make, model in your signature, it shows up at the bottom of the page so we can advise on things like parts.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCooper View Post
Follow up question, I'm getting prepared to get into this project at the end of next month (moving to a new city where friend with garage is so I can't get started yet) What gaskets at I going to need to replace? I guess I'm looking for a part number really, can I find these in my manual? I think I'm only going to open up the front cylinder, compression on the rear is 150psi so i don't feel like I need to mess with that. I've heard mention of needing to replace rings, are these the rings on the pistons? Anything else you guys know of that I'm going to need to get this done? Thanks for the help guys
If your taking the time to rebuild one cylinder, you might as well do both. Doesn't sense to go this far without doing both cylinders.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks steveC, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice guys! All super helpful, I'll take notes and keep everything in mind. Keep it coming!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page