Honda Shadow Forums banner

Speedometer Questions

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  GB6049 
#1 ·
When i bought this bike it had a fairing on the front and therefore a small aftermarket speedometer. I've been looking to replace it but wanted to find something that would possibly show a Tachometer as well? My biggest questions is I'm new to the cruiser scene and therefore know more about sport bikes than my Shadow.

Is it possible to add a Tach onto this bike? is there any aftermarket plug and mount speedometers that anyone would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

#4 ·
Well, on a 2000 Sabre you definitely are not looking at electronic signals for the speedo. The original was mechanical driven off of a gear on the front hub. So I'd guess any replacement would also be mechanical unless you want to go GPS. Is that an option for you? There are GPS speedos out there...pricey but nice. As far as a tach, there are many choices. Cobra makes a good solid unit..again pricy but nice. You have a budget? We like to spend your money ;)

#6 ·
You could always go the easy route and get one of these inductive pickup tachs. They are not all that pretty but easy to connect. Other wise you will be back after you buy a fancy chrome unit and ask why doesn't it read the correct RPM. "Is this a dual fire, dual coil, dual spark, dual confusion ignition system" ???

I have a tach on my old bike but I bought one of these to see how well it works. Cheap enough experiment. We will see when I get it.

Digital Engine Tach Tachometer Hour Meter Gauge Inductive 4 Racing Motorcycle E1 | eBay

#7 ·
Please let us know how it does.

While we are talking tach,,,What kind of RPM's do shadow engines run?

#8 ·
Just speaking of my old '83 750 the manual shows this.
Red line on the tach is 8000, but I never ride the old beast that hard. Some of the newer bikes and sport bikes have higher red lines.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks swifty, I do not wind up my bike too much,,,at least I dont think so,,,thats why i'm wanting a tach. I've had tachs on/in almost every vehicle I have ever had.

#9 ·
If I remember correctly the original speedo on the sabre was fairly small, post a picture of what you have now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.