Honda Shadow Forums banner

Turn the key, flip the kickstand, aaaand click.

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
So this 83 vt500 has been running great since I've fixed the starter clutch and flywheel issue until I went to leave the bar last night.

When I hit the starter all I get is a click. The headlight dims as it should as well.

Now I was able to get her going by jumping the solenoid terminals and she cranked right up but I don't know how to approach this problem. I'm fairly confident it's in the starter switch.

#4 ·
Our Gurus are on it :D
Both of these suggestions are good!!
Always start diagnostics with a Fully Charged Battery...

Merry Christmas
D

#6 ·
Do you have a shop manual for your bike? (Not a Clymer or Haynes, but a Honda Shop Manual with schematics.)

Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it? (Don't take this as condescending if you do. You would be surprised how often the answer is "no.")

Have you checked all connections to the battery, solenoid, starter, and any safety switches?

Have you tried bypassing any and/or all safety switches?

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not famlliar with this particular bike, but those I know about have all the safty switches in the circuit to the solenoid. So if the selenoid clicked or pulled in it couldn't be any of the safety or interlock switches. If the selenoid operated as you say, that's the same as jumping the terminals. Also if it did operate it can't be the starter switch. Maybe the selenoid contacts? IDK How has it done since? And it seems if you headlight dimmed it's a sign current was flowing to the starter. AFAIK the heavy current to the starter is the only thing that would pull enough current to cause the light to dim. So, if that happened to me, I'd suspect my starter. Like I say, I'm not at all familiar with the bike so my advice is questionable.

#8 ·
Yeah, I beena thinkin`... That could be dangerous, I know...
BUt...
IF you jumped across the solenoid terminals, and got the starter spinning, that tells me the solenoid could definitely be the faulty culprit...

Colder weather CAN make electrics more perfinicky...

Merry Christmas
D

#10 ·
Yeah, I beena thinkin`... That could be dangerous, I know...
BUt...
IF you jumped across the solenoid terminals, and got the starter spinning, that tells me the solenoid could definitely be the faulty culprit...

Colder weather CAN make electrics more perfinicky...

Merry Christmas
D
Please keep using the word perfinicky hahaha

We have had a recent cold snap here in Texas in the past week it's gone from 75-80 down to 35 the past few days

How could I go about checking the solenoid? I don't own a multimeter but I have access to one and know how to use it.

I'll do some research on the specifics. Can we rule out the starter switch? The headlight is definitely SUPPOSED to dim when the starter button is hit

#9 ·
OH And >
My model cuts off the headlight when the start button is pressed as a feature to get all of the VOLTS to the starter...
I am unsure of your model start circuit charactoristics

#14 ·
I would look at your starter switch first. All of these other suggestions are just confusing the fact that the symptoms that you are having point right at a malfunctioning starter button. Open the clamshell and look at the contacts. They may be some corrosion or dirt in the contact causing a weak connection.

#15 ·
Misconstrood as it may be...
I`m merely Taking a stab in the dark as I`m not there to diagnose this problem jpr...

BUT Diagnosing is the ONLY way to find the fault...
Be it switch, starter, battery, relay or connection....

Fire Away,
D

#17 ·
Welp...it was in fact the battery. Before the new solenoid had a chance to come in the mail I tried jumping her from the solenoid again and took her around the block. I stopped the engine, turned the key off and on again...and when I hit the starter she fired right up.

I let her charge a bit and now that it's warmer shes acting completely normal. I think the cold snap really just did a number on the lead acid battery and it looks like I'm gonna need a new one.

Thanks guys for all your help! I'm glad it wasn't a larger issue. I'll put the new solenoid in for good measure ;)

#18 ·
#19 ·
Glad it`s going again...
BUT ++?
It won`t hurt to check things over again, just to be sure...
I`d start with seeing IF I could make the start switch act up, by pressing it in different angles and thumb positions...
ALSO take a reading of the charging system, to be sure it`s performing correctly...

Thank You for replying back on it too,
D

Mourning in Americus, GA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.