Honda Shadow Forums banner

Turn signal issues

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Rescue575 
#1 ·
Ok, two weeks ago I installed deep dish bezels on my signals and changed the front bulbs the a clear/Amber switchback bulb. I purchased the regulator to correct any hyper flash issues, but never ended up installing it because the flash although slightly faster was not rediculous. I did a run yesterday and notices on my way home that when I use the left signal I get a four way flash like as if the hazards were on (to my knowledge, this bike does not have a hazard feature). The eight signal works fine. Any thoughts on this one? Possibly issue being that the regulator is not installed? Was working fine the last two weeks. Just started yesterday. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This is a New one on me!!!

Dunno right off hand what to suspect, however my first thought was a defective bulb???

Layered up, leathered up and time to ride. See y`all soon.
D

#5 ·
Thinking that MAYBE IF you install a diode in the turn indicator circuit that MAY stop this 4Way flash???
I remember reading that was necessary with some instalations of LEDS...
Think of an LED/or any diode as a "One Way" valve for current when used in DC circuits...

And No!
Our bikes did not come stock with 4ways...

D

#6 ·
Don't think it's s defective ulb because they are all working. Not even sure how to go the diode route, I'm not very mechanical with these things yet besides the basics. I'm gonna install the flash regulator this week to see if that corrects it but my guess is no.

#7 ·
Just for kicks & grins, I`d swap back to incandesant bulbs to see IF there is a fault in wiring or flasher...
But...

I read that you only swapped front bulbs?
The rear MAY be the culprit now???

As a TV technician, I`ve found many brand new parts defective...

I try to always check the easiest to get to FIRST...

D

Good Luck
Happy 2017

#8 ·
#12 ·
Load resisters do just that. They defeat the watt savings you get with LED's.

And while ya got it apart: best time to replace all tiny indicator bulbs w/ LED's.....including the dim factory speedometer light.
superbrightleds sells great stuff.
The newer bikes have factory LED'S in the speedo. I found a place that will change them, so I need to see if I can do it. I bet they are surface mount.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
A single diode in one of the two wires going to the indicator bulb & connecting the other wire to Ground also works.

And while ya got it apart: best time to replace all tiny indicator bulbs w/ LED's.....including the dim factory speedometer light.
superbrightleds sells great stuff.

'Anyway.....Toilet paper goes over the top. Only serial killers and goat touchers let it hang down'
~borrowed from Brer @vito

#11 ·
My experience with electronics has taught me that the circuit is designed to operate with a given "load"...
Any changes to that schematic changes the "load"...

I tried LEDs in the turnsignal circuits, but returned to incandescent bulbs because of the outcome...
And will retain these until y`all have proven to me the expense and time involved warrants change....

I am running LED Headlight and have added LEDs as extra brakelights...
I DO LOVE the brightness they offer...
As @Gnarly suggests, I`ll change to LEDs for > instrumentation illumination < :D

I pay attention when Y`all speak!
As a wiseman once told me,
"I like to learn from YOUR Mistakes, it costs me less" :D

D

#13 ·
My experience with electronics has taught me that the circuit is designed to operate with a given "load"...
Any changes to that schematic changes the "load"...

I tried LEDs in the turnsignal circuits, but returned to incandescent bulbs because of the outcome...
And will retain these until y`all have proven to me the expense and time involved warrants change....

I am running LED Headlight and have added LEDs as extra brakelights...
I DO LOVE the brightness they offer...
As @Gnarly suggests, I`ll change to LEDs for > instrumentation illumination < :D

I pay attention when Y`all speak!
As a wiseman once told me,
"I like to learn from YOUR Mistakes, it costs me less" :D

D
Not counting the cost of the bulbs, the cost of the diodes is minimal. It took me 1.5 hours to do mine,,,about 30 minute's of that was getting the headlight back in. The Phantoms must have the smallest headlight bucket made!!!

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Single use; disposable:

'Anyway.....Toilet paper goes over the top. Only serial killers and goat touchers let it hang down'
~borrowed from Brer @vito

#26 ·
Me too and thank you brother. Lol. Really love the front lights I put in. They are a white/Amber combo that act as a driving light when signals are not in use. Really dresses up the front of the bike nicely without the addition of additional lights.

#31 ·
When I swapped my turn signal bulbs for LEDs, I merely swapped out the main flasher relay in the headlight bucket with a relay designed for LEDs. No messing around with resistors or diodes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#32 · (Edited)
I changed the relay flasher! Did nothing to correct the issue. Put the diode in tonight. Corrected all the signal problems! Thank you all for your help. Now the only issue I have is that the indicator light doesn't work now. Not sure if this has something to do with the diode installation or if I jiggled the bulb loose when I pulled the lense off the indicator.

Another theory, somebody please jump in if I am or am not making sense. Now the diode was installed between the harness (located in the headlight assembly) and the wires leading to the indicator. Now was easy, cut the two wires. Taking the wires coming from the indicator, one became a ground, the other wire connected up to the single wire end of the diode. Now the two wire side of the diode connected up the the two wires coming from the harness. I wasn't happy with the ground and questioned myself if it was a good connection, but I wires everything up as is to test it. Now, if I had a bad ground, could/would that effect and prevent just the Indicator light from functioning but still allow the signals to function properly? Or if I have a bad ground, would that have also affected my signals?

#35 ·
That's what I figured. The damn diode wire is so small I didn't have an "O" ring that would crimp on (did not have sodder at the moment) and would fit the screw in the headlight assembly. Once I have a chance to sodder all the connections I'll throw the O-ring on and hopefully catch a good ground!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.