Fuel coming from valve cover - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Fuel coming from valve cover

I got my 07 shadow 750 c somebody let it sit for 3 years with the fuel on I pulled the carburetor apart check diaphragm clean all the Jets and needles when I get it to start it's it's fuel out of a vacuum line that comes from the top of the rear cylinder valve cover to the air cleaner subsequently filling up my air cleaner box with black fuel what could be causing this thanks for your help in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 PM

Garage
My first thought is that the entire motor is full of fuel. Have you changed the oil and filter??? if not it would be a good place to start.

Some more knowledgeable folks should chime in,,,

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

I haven't just due to if it is dumping fuel didn't want to waste money but now that I have ran it a few times it needs to be changed I don't want to wash the bearings also the crank case nor the cylinder seems to be filled with gas but is coming out the niple off the top of the rear cylinder valve cover

Last edited by axxer4200; 01-08-2017 at 09:41 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 PM

Garage
The Black fuel may well be fuel mixed with oil. The hose going into the air box is supposed to be a vent , but when there is too much oil in the crank case it blows the excess into the air box. I can't be 100% positive as I'm not there , but it could be the fuel going into the cylinder as the shut off is open , then down into the crankcase and finally blowing into the air box.

So if that is what it is doing , it is kinda doing what it is supposed to. Just way overwhelmed due to the fuel pushing past the carb float and all. In fact the oil level might start overflowing when you open the filler hole.

So. Make sure the fuel petcock is off. Then Drain the oil , change the oil filter and refill oil . Don't go over the higher oil mark on the dipstick.

Make sure the gas tank is empty , Then again make sure to turn off the fuel petcock , and then fill the tank with clean gas and a few oz. of "SeaFoam". Open the petcock and try to start it. Let us know how it goes.

There may be a problem to deal with in the carb. but start with the above and we can go from there.

Good Luck.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.

Last edited by Sundown; 01-08-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I will give it a shot and see what happens thanks

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Is it only dumping the fuel when it's running?

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

1998 Valkyrie Standard
2001 Valkyrie I/S
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Yes only spitting when running

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
If it is actual fuel it is a fire hazard so be careful. It must not be getting into the cylinders since you had it running a few times and you didn't say it was flooding. So I am thinking it is condensation mixed with old engine oil and smells stinky like dirty oil that sometimes has a bit of a fuel smell. But it is too much for normal venting.
If you take that hose loose and run it and capture some of the fluid in a jar, then take it 20 feet away and pour it in a pie pan and try to light it , it will show about how much actual gasoline is in it.
It may be just condensation and blow by and that would be at least safer to be starting the engine. Change the oil and make sure it is not over filled and go from there. Are you checking the oil level with the bike held straight up ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	25
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	193529  

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

I was checking with a lean

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Phantomrider is spot on, crankcase is full of gas. Do not run it anymore until you change the oil & filter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page