Best place to start looking? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Best place to start looking?

Took a ride on my 04 750 Aero today (70 degrees ) Ran fine until heading home it felt like it was running out of gas so I reach down and switch tbrakes o reserve. It made no difference. I have addd gas and the bike will start fine and I can rev it up. But when I go to release the clutch there is no power and the engine will die immediately unless the clutch is pulled in and accelerator fanned. Tomorrow I'll start checking things but if you have a suspicion where the problem might be please chime in. I recently removed and cleaned the carb and replaced the accelerator pump but it's been running fine.

Last edited by NewOldRider; 01-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Garage
check the vacuum line to the fuel tap, if that is kinked your fuel delivery is restricted at best, check the fuel line as well

Could be **** in the main jets

My Bike before and after , Any day spent on the bike is a good day
VT1100C Shadow (1993)
VT750 Aero
TRX300 (Hunting Quad)
DRZ400E (my dirt bike)

For the kids to use
XR250
Rm80/Honda125 (1972 TL engine )
GN250
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 AM

Garage
Make sure battery/connections are good. I wasted a lot of time diagnosing a VT750 that stalled and turned out battery cables were loose.

With bike parked, it starts OK and engine runs ok at all throttle positions? If that is OK but you are lacking power (ie letting clutch out) it sounds like you maybe running on one cylinder. I would first check by pulling one spark plug lead at a time to determine if an electrical problem. Next pull plugs to check condition. Post results.

G.

P.S. Sometimes I miss contact breakers. Sure they needed adjusting and they wore out but at least you could see/measure what was up. And cheap. ICM and IPG are way more reliable if everything is OK but if not then who knows? And expensive. On the other hand I love my hydraulic self adjusting valves.

Last edited by gdb069; 01-11-2017 at 02:59 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Location: SW Georga Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
I read this last night, slept on it and I still ain`t got a suggestion...
However, my thought does lean toward fuel related issues...
BUT, then again electrical is possible, a loose disconnection is VERY suspect too

Sig pic for the day

I Might make it permanent,
D

Good Morning HSN

Last edited by "Captain D"; 01-11-2017 at 06:49 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Garage
You might also check the tank vent tube, which lets air back in so the fuel can flow out. If that is partially plugged, like from a bug crawling up in it and dying, it can also cause the symptoms you're seeing. Just take it off at the tank and blow compressed air through it.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Ya I would say fuel / air problem. My friends vulcan did this same thing when a tiny piece of his air filter got stuck in one of the tubes going into the carb. As soon as he revved the engine it would bog down and die.

Also you might want to check your petcock. Have you fed it today? Hahaha just kidding but it might be clogged with sediment or something.

1998 VT1100C Cobra pipes, K&N, HID
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Petcock is good. Flows when I apply vacuum. Vacuum hose to the petcock appears sound. Have spark to both cylinders and the plugs look good. Tank vent is open. Can't find any loose connections. I've taken the carb off once again and I'll take it apart after my frustration level drops. Poo!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM

Garage
Try to duplicate the symptom and add some choke to see if any thing changes.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Garage
My old '83 750 doesn't have a kickstand switch but I hear other guys talking about theirs when they fail and can't start. But some of you guys with later bikes can chime in here= Does the kick stand switch kill the engine when it is running? Since he said when he lets out the clutch out the engine dies, could it be related to a failing kick stand switch ???

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty2014 View Post
My old '83 750 doesn't have a kickstand switch but I hear other guys talking about theirs when they fail and can't start. But some of you guys with later bikes can chime in here= Does the kick stand switch kill the engine when it is running? Since he said when he lets out the clutch out the engine dies, could it be related to a failing kick stand switch ???
It will.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page