Honda Shadow Forums banner

New shocks! (once the snow melts...)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  blue flames 
#1 · (Edited)
After a bit of thought, I decided to take a chance and order some new shocks for my ACE 1100. Managed to find these on eBay. Before I ordered them, I spoke to the shop in Cincinnati that had them listed. The owner of the shop certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about. For a 20 year old bike, I just couldn't bring myself to splurge on some brand name shocks. Apparently, these shocks ride similar to the Progressive Suspension 412's. I decided to get a pair that are a 1/2" longer than stock. Hopefully, this helps give me a bit more lean angle. The way I see it, they can't be any worse than 20 year old shocks! Also, I think they look pretty good too! Can't wait for the snow to go away and put these on.

See less See more
#2 ·
Was warm enough to swap these on today. Even though they're 12.25", and I thought they'd lift the back end up a bit, I think it's still sitting at exactly the same height. Once the roads are clear again, I'll be able to see how they ride.

#5 · (Edited)
Would love to know from somebody that had 412s, what they thought of these. That comparison is likely going to be hard to come by though. I'm in the market for both rear and front and was looking at progressive for both.

I'm guessing they tried to model after progressive but...I think maybe I'm going with buy once cry once here lol.

I think stocks are 11.75, not sure if I would feel that .75 inch difference.

#6 ·
I haven't tried the 412's so I won't be able to give you a comparison between the two. While the stock shocks are supposed to be 11.75" and these were 12.25" at a quick glance, with the bike on the kickstand, the height looks pretty much the exact same. Just from sitting on the bike, these shocks are definitely much stiffer than stock. Once the snow melts and I can take it out for a ride, I can give a bit of a ride comparison to the stock shocks.

And, as I had mentioned earlier, part of the reason I got these, is I just really liked the look of the black shocks. From what I can tell with the 412's, they're only available for the 1100's in chrome.

#7 ·
Since y'all are talking shocks,,,mine are set on step 2, the suspension bottoms from time to time, so I am thinking about moving them up to step 3. Other than the obvious change of not bottoming as much what can I expect???

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I have my shocks set to #3 and I really like it there. I'm 245 lbs and 6'1" and the bike feels that it handles and rides better with the shocks set on 3, I've also tried the #2 & the #4 settings and the #3 is where I'm at for now.
JM. 02¢

#9 ·
Thanks KC,,,I will give it a try. I like the soft feel of the 2nd setting but bottoming out is getting old,,,:frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.