Honda Shadow Forums banner

Not sure which to measure for diameter of the exhaust or flange, or either?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sidejam 
#1 ·
My dad has some straight pipes at his house, initially for his Harley. They are just lying around. He said he would give them to me, but we didn't know the diameter of the exhaust port header. I wasn't sure about what to measure. I figured the exhaust pip needs to be small enough the fit in the flange, but also wide enough to create a tight seal and be flush with the engine from the flange. Is it the diameter of the flange that makes the different or the lip of the exhaust header?

I am about to head over to his house now, is there anything important I need to know in order to make sure the dimensions are correct in order for the exhaust to fit on my 2004 600 Deluxe?

#2 ·
Check inside to outside measurement. i put some Harley Sportster mufflers on my 1983 750 and with the thin bushings you can get they will work fine. I had some from the Emgo mufflers that were on there already. You can get a set of 3 of them to take up the difference in sizes.
I also put as smear of silicone rubber such as the grey gasket sealer to help keep the gaps from leaking. That silicone will stand the temperature and last a long time.

Motorcycle Exhaust Pipe Reducer Sleeve Muffler Adapters (1.5", 1-5/8", 1.75") | eBay

#3 ·
Sorry I was thinking Honda factory headers and Harley mufflers. But the muffler pipe size is bigger than the Honda. So the header pipe ends may be too big to fit into the Honda head exhaust ports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.