Honda Shadow Forums banner

Sprocket change question???

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Scared 
#1 ·
Fellow riders,

I need some advice...
I went to do a sprocket change today front and rear on my 2006 Honda spirit 750 vt
The front sprocket. A 17 tooth would not come off. I had a hard time even getting the seal off before the sprocket. It finally came off with a lot of work...I had sprayed some penetrating oil all over it to see if it breaks free. Seems like it was rusted on real bad... I had even used a sprocket puller on it but to no avail either.

Can anybody recommend some advice as to steps I need to take to get this front sprocket off? I really would appreciate any input. Bike is Down now and its no fun. :(

Thank you
IRideShadows

#3 ·
Heat the sprocket with at least a propane torch,,,preferably with the puller on it with pressure on the sprocket,,,stay as far away from the shaft as is possible. The idea is to heat the sprocket as quick as you can so that it will grow larger than the shaft.

You might want to protect anything in the area that is not metal with foil or sheet metal.

#5 ·
If you get it warmed up tap all around the outer surface of the front sprocket moving around in a circle to wiggle the sprocket on the the shaft. After some miles it should have some wear in the splines to allow it to start moving and wiggling free. Sometimes you can get a pry bar on the back side and tap on the opposite side in the back, and it will help pull it off. Vibration at work.

#6 ·
Penetrating oil and tapping on it with a plastic mallet should do it. Just be patient and careful. I wouldn't use any heat as for the reasons mentioned. Also be sure to clean area after removal of any leftover penetrating fluids as some aren't friendly to aluminium etc. Patience and WD40 has been my tool of choice for many a year but on occasion PB Blaster and other "Super" penetrating products do work but patience is the best tool.

#7 ·
I'm not understanding what you mean by removing the seal. The only seal is behind the sprocket on the case where the shaft protrudes from.
There is no seal to remove when removing or replacing the front sprocket. The sprocket fits loosely onto the splined shaft, a solid steel plate slides over the sprocket and two small bolts hold the plate up against the sprocket. It's not a real tight fit.....

Once you remove the two bolts that hold the plate on, slide off the plate, then the sprocket should easily slide off. If there's a lot of rust you'll need to clean the rust off the shaft with a wire brush so the sprocket can slide off.

Good luck,
Phil

#8 ·
Thanks for all the great advice fellow riders. I read all your comments above and they are appreciated........Not sure how it is going to turn out. This sprocket is really on there pretty tight I should know in a week or so as to what what my next steps are. Will follow up with how it turns out. I hope, I don't have to replace the shaft or have damaged it while trying to take it off...

What a PITA this one is. I need to ride.

Be safe all,
IRideShadows

#10 ·
Hello fellow Riders.

Here is an update of how the sprocket change went.

I continued to use PB blaster for an additional two weeks hoping that it would break free with a puller on it and no luck. I also made cuts on the sprocket with puller on it and still did not break free. It was stuck on there like cement.

Finally, I broke down and brought it to a local shop and they were able to get it to break free using HEAT.. (SCORE) I've learned... when your in over your head on a project, its best to take it to somebody that has experience.

Thanks for all your advise and recommendations.

I have added a few pics to show what i went through. Was not fun. :(

The good news is.:) .........The bike is almost ready to ride again.

Be safe all
IRideShadows

Attachments

#11 ·
Well folks,
I am happy to say that the bike is back to me. Rode it today in 18 degree weather. So worth the 38T sprocket mod. 17 T up front was replaced to.. New 525 chain. It is a band new bike as far as gearing goes. Much more upstairs through the gears....
Thanks again for all your input & Ride safe.

Pic taken today 3/11/17

IRideShadows

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.