Honda Shadow Forums banner

Weird pinging from exhaust

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Phil 
#1 ·
Hoping someone here has an idea of what this noise is because it annoys the hell out of me. Its a random high toned ping or something from the exhaust. Doesnt matter what fuel I use its pretty much always there. I posted a video of it here..

#2 ·
Sound like a part is loose inside from wear and rust and causes a high pitch squeal/squeak sound when it vibrates. I have had things like that on cars before. Try to push on the inside baffle with a wooden handle while it is running to see if it stops temporarily.
It may be a heat shield vibrating.
Or it is the cross over chamber between the pipes.
I have used a heavy rubber mallet to hit on the exhaust system to see if I can vibrate it just right and the sound appears without the engine running.

#5 ·
Check the torque on the acorn nuts that secure the flanges to the exhaust ports at the heads.

I small leak there can make that chirping sound. I'm thinking if something was loose with the mounting hardware, it would be a more consistent sound that changes with the RPM's.

If it's not the problem, still a good idea to check the torque on those nuts anyway. I usually check mine once a year....

Good luck,
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.