Honda Shadow Forums banner

Electrical Issue. Please help solve this mystery.

5K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  I'mKOHD 
#1 · (Edited)
I will try to be as brief and concise as possible. I hope that someone here that is smarter than me can point me in the right direction.

Story: I left the key in the "on" position when I was taking a nap. Silly mistake, I know. Naturally, the bike ran out of juice and my second mistake was that I jumped the bike with my car on.

Later, I realized that the headlight and horn didn't work at all, and the blinkers did not work properly. The running lights for the blinkers work, but when I for example click to turn right, that light just goes out. Same with the other side.

Here is what I have tried in order to fix it so far:

- New battery
- New blinker/headlight bulbs (front and rear)
- New starter relay/solenoid
- New rectifier
- New main and sub fuses
- Checked all wire connections/harnesses

I tested for electricity and did NOT get any juice in the following areas:

- Harness that connects to headlight
- Slots that fuses go into for headlight and fan

Possibilities I am considering at this point:

- New fuse box
- Issue with handlebar controls (left control with signals, horn, etc. or Start button contacts)

My bike is a 1997 VLX 600 Deluxe. Any ideas or input you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Don't worry about the fact that you jumped it with the car running. Auto regulators keep the maximum voltage in the 14.5 volt range just like our bikes. The only concern would be if you jumped it backward at first. That causes problems. You have covered a lot of bases so far. The wiring diagram shows the power for 3 of the fuses straight from the ignition switch. So follow the wiring from the ignition switch through the connectors to see if something came loose or is corroded. The fan fuse has a different source but fix that afterward.

Attachments

#12 ·
I would start by charging your battery and then see where you stand. Even new batteries need to be charged.

#14 ·
Thanks for your input. I just put it on the charger before I read this. I'm going to leave it over night and see what happens. It is very similar behavior to when my battery has died in the past (the way the signals work, no horn, etc.)

I just went out and checked as much wires and harnesses as I can again. I have really gotten to know this bike a bit lol. I ordered a new signal flasher. After that I really have no idea and might need to take it in. :/

Thanks again

I would really feel like a dummy if it was the battery needing to be charged all along, but patience is a virtue and that is something I don't possess much of.

#15 ·
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0847/8734/files/completeVLXdiagram.jpg?5976558908954785358

Looking at the diagram above, I feel like it should be the turn signal relay, because the relay's green wire (power), goes to the green wire for the turn signals, and that green wire is independent of any other connections. Further, the headlight's green wire is connected to that very wire. It makes sense looking at this. I hope I'm right. Relay is on its way in the mail.

#16 ·
Solid green wires are all grounds. The black/brown wire is power in from the ignition switch. The green/red wire goes to the turn signal switch to power the lights.

#18 ·
Update:

I installed the new turn signal relay and it didn't make a difference. I was really hoping it would be that.

When I tested for power, the only places I don't get it are on the slots for the headlight/fan fuses and the harness on the headlight.

So far I have done the following

- Replaced all fuses
- Replaced all bulbs
- New battery
- New rectifier
- New signal relay
- New starter relay/solenoid
- Checked/cleaned contacts in handlebar controls
- Looked for any exposed or burnt wires

Any ideas on where I should look next?

#22 ·
Update.. I have done the following so far:

- New Battery, Fuses, Bulbs, Turn Signal Relay, Rectifier, Fuse Box
- Cleaned switch connections
- Checked for loose/burnt wires
- Checked harnesses

I'm so lost. What would make the horn, turn signals and headlight not work?

In the diagram I've attached, the only thing those three things have in common are the green wire, which looks like it only comes from the Ignition Control Module. It's an expensive part so I hope that isn't the prob. I pulled it out to inspect it and the connections seem fine, but I don't know how to test it otherwise. Any thoughts?

Attachments

#23 ·
When you say "checked harnesses" what did that involve???

If you have not done so I would suggest ohming each wire in the affected circuits. And check the grounds well, they can give trouble in so many ways.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#24 ·
If the fuses are good and the connection at the fuse block is good but you have no power at the headlight when the ignition is turned on it can only be a wire. When you are checking for power at the headlight are you putting one lead on ground and the other on the power feed to the headlight? Try to focus on one problem like the headlights and see where it takes you.

#25 ·
Good advice from Ramie. You have to focus on the circuits involved. When you say the bike runs good otherwise that means the ignition module is working fine, so forget about that system. If it starts and runs the starting and ignition system must be working. So if the only failure is the headlight, turn signal and horn you have to zero in on the power source for those. Remember the GREEN WIRES ARE GROUNDS. They are everywhere but not a problem unless one is corroded somewhere or has a loose connection. Look for power through the fuses and any connectors along the way. Isolate the problem circuits and forget the working ones.

If you get a 12 volt test light and ground the alligator clip then the probe tip is an easy way to trace where the power is flowing, or where it stops. With key on you should have power on both sides of the fuses and through each connector.

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
SOLVED.

It turns out that a wiring harness came undone underneath the left neck cover. This happened because I installed new handlebars and the cables weren't long enough, so when I turned I must have yanked it out. Me jumping the bike was just a coincidence.

Thanks for all your help. This has been a learning experience. I have spent a lot of $ on parts, but now I have some extras or I can just sell them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.