Honda Shadow Forums banner

Light bar for 95 ace

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  pinkythepinko 
#1 ·
Okay so I bought this bike and the guy I bought it from had added some ground effects lighting that I took off the light bar does not work currently but it is attached I would greatly appreciate any information on how to get this thing wired backup and running again thank you

#7 ·
Yesterday I tried to fix the mess that the previous owner made with his ground effect fiasco. I tested and then wired the light Bae headlamps with the main headlamp. Seemed to work fine. I took a ride, all was well. The bar went off when I engaged the brights etc. This morning it would not start. Starter would not engage. The battery has power. The headlamps don't work but all other lights do. Did I burn out the starter, a fuse, ...?

#10 · (Edited)
Charge your battery. If it still won't start I'd guess you fried your start switch with too much amperage through the headlight/lightbar combo. Did you find out what lightbar it is? It's a mistake to just wire crap up to your bike without knowing what it draws and the consequences. Ideally you'd want to use the headlight circuit as an input into a relay that is direct wired to your battery and the lightbar. The link that Ramie posted also mentions using a relay.

#11 ·
I can't find a brand name but it's the standard two lightseparate above turn signals below bar that came with the bike. The starter switch?...replace and hope? This is part of the adventure isn't it. something inside me said don't do this yesterday I should have listen to that little voice now I'm paying the price I had a running bike now I don't

#14 ·
In my mind it doesn't really matter what brand the light bar is, they all wire up the same. The only problem would be if you have high wattage lights drawing too much power. Don't buy a new starter switch until you've taken it apart and looked at it. Look at the link below to see how.

Starter Button Maintenance on Valkyries

#20 ·
I wouldn't replace anything until you know what is wrong. If you do a search here you'll find ways to bypass the solenoid to test it. If you pull apart the start switch you should be able to tell if the contacts are bad. I see that no one has mentioned the kill switch yet. On some models if that is flipped the engine won't turn over at all.

#22 ·
I've tried jumping it as well...nada, zip, zilch. Waiting for parts to show up in mail then I will start pulling things aparthat with the voltage meter in hand and diagrams.

All lights except the headlamp work which makes me think, based on what I have read, to think it's the switch. I would rather replace the part given the level of neglect the bike has seen. So I ask, iso there much easier that could've been damaged from my stupidity beyond the start/kill switch and/or solenoid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.