Honda Shadow Forums banner

Shock advice

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jpr1968 
#1 ·
Ok 84 Vt700c the rear shocks are feeling spongy. It's getting time to replace them. I would love to keep them OEM but that may not be a option considering it's a 33 year old ride. If that's the case what are some recommendations on a quality replacement that some of you have used.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have had 3 lots of progressive shocks, each one very different

The first was for the 750 Aero, they worked mint, not to stiff & not to soft, after 25,000 K's they needed new mount rubbers but were still going strong

Next was for the 1100C and I could not get the length I wanted for the model I had so went for some tuned for a Harley still the 412 ....bad move, too stiff being they were made for a bike much heavier than mine, one leaked oil and when I took it to a local suspension tech he said it was because they were to stiff, the shock was bottoming out at the top of the stroke to much

I replaced the the 412 on the 1100 with 444 shocks, still a little firm but two up or with gear they were fantastic, if you did bottom out with bad roads (we have some shockers) it was not anywhere near as harsh as the 412, didn't like the adjustment as much, no tools required but took longer to adjust, as they wore they became mint for single riding too

It seams a lottery getting the right shock weight to suit your ride but if its right they are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.