Honda Shadow Forums banner

Dying battery

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Andrew Fort 
#1 ·
Ever since I've started riding my bike again after it got warmer out my battery keeps dying. I have a Battery Tender hooked up to it when the bikes in the garage. But after a 12 hour shift I'll go out to start it and it'll barely make it or it'll be completely dead. Ive had the battery tested at two different places and they both said its good. Could the battery tender hook ups to my battery be causing a drain? Or do I just need to get a new battery?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'd pull the battery, give it a full charge and have it load tested.

Auto parts stores have the ability to load test your battery and most will do it free of charge.

If the battery test's good you'll have to do some troubleshooting on your charging system, if it tests bad you'll know it's time for a new battery.......

Good luck,
Phil

#7 ·
Your bike may have 4000 miles but if it is over 5 years old the battery still may have a weak cell from all the winters and starts, etc. Easy way to know the whole story=
Put a meter across the battery and look for at least 12.5 volts sitting engine off.
Crank the engine and watch for at least 9.5 volts while cranking.
Start it and rev it up to 3000 and see if the charge voltage gets up to 13.5 to 14.5.
That test the main parts of the system.

#12 ·
Don't tear into anything until you have tested the charging voltage and looked at the 3 yellow wires. No need to replace any part that is good.

#14 ·
So I got the battery tested and it said it was good but needed charged. I had just pulled it off my battery tender and brought it over here within 5 mins. When I pulled it off my battery tender it said it was fully charged. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Your tender could be bad, what was the voltage while it's on the tender then off of it?I replaced one last year under warranty, called the number in the instructions and they sent me a new one , didn't even ask for the old one.A tender won't charge a very low battery very well, it could take days.

#17 · (Edited)
You could still have a bad battery. Now that you have a new charger, charge the battery and see what happens. What voltage did you have with the bike idling and with the bike around 1500 rpm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.