Honda Shadow Forums banner

Most embassing post/question

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Cerberus 
#1 ·
well I have put it off a week, but since I need y'alls input to know, I gotta come clean, I was going to change the oil in my 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100. In my little shed it was tight and kinda dark, so I said heck I'll back it out and do it in the drive way. Dirt spot mind you. any way as I put something under the kick stand to get the bike level, yeap you guessed it the bike started to go over on it's right side. Now I did grab abd scream l;ike a little girl in distress, but since my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, no help. And I had to grab quick and was in a back position for my bad back, which I did mess up for a couple days. However I was able to slow the dissent to a slow long drawn out to a easy rest on a gallon jug of oil which, believe it or not ( high dollar kind from a bike shop ) even though that weight was on it, it did not pop oil everywhere and only gave in to where I could not tell where my real lines were but I'll take that, no harm what so ever to the bike. But after the oil change and I took her up the road to test run and bring back to park over card board to just make sure there were no oil leaks. When I went to crank the bike for the first time she was a little drawn out, not the usual fire right up even without the choke. When I got 1/4 of a mile from the house she cut off completely and acted like she didn't have fuel. I tried and tried till I had got worried that she was not going to crank. she finally crank up and turned right back off a couple times after just letting her sit a couple minutes. I freaked and upon making it back to the house called my bike shop and said I was going to see if the bike could make it in, but after that she drove like her old self for 25 miles, I even got her up too 100 one time to see if I had something carb wise. But still no problems, I decided to stop at the dollar store for some stp gas treatment and then some exxon gas and still she fired right up and I just brought her home. My question is was it because of the (embarrassing) tip over???????? an old harley rider said no way, he said check my plugs, but the plugs are not that old, I guess they do have a little over 3000 miles, but she ran like the old scalded dog that she has always been, but I'm a little scared now to venture too far from home. Am I just ignorant. can someone explain to me if my suspicion of the tip over some how maybe causing air in my gas line or something to that effect?????? sorry guys I know it is another dumb question, but thank you for reading chapter 1 and 2 of my new book, will my luck ever change. This bike has never in the 2 years I have had her, ever left me on the side of the road, and y'all should have seen that hill that I had to push up to get back to the house, no way. thanks for any input but please don't rub it in too much, I already feel dumb enough for letting her tip over. peace.

See less See more
#2 ·
It happens to the best of us.

Gas likely got into the vent line when it tipped over, causing a blockage in the vent. When you took the cap off to add the STP and gas, you allowed the vent to clear. Just my $0.02

Just a question, my manual says to let the bike lean on the side stand when changing the oil, is there a reason you had it propped up?

#5 ·
Yup, some tip overs are expensice! I had one last year that cost $230 or so....broke the windshield, and that was lucky, it could have been bad!

#4 ·
Yeah I just jumped the gun, it was a tight fit for my wrench to get to the oil bolt and was getting her in the level position for a little more wrench room and then to check the oil after the oil change, I learned that step was too quick since it drained the oil better just on the kick stand.

#16 ·
I have done the same a time or 2 on past bikes. I use a 2x4 under the stand of the shadow when I do the oil. It works great and it keeps weight on the bike while giving me enough room to get a wrench and drain pan under her. I like the drain plug idea there.

#17 ·
Welcome to the "dumb-ass thing I did today" club ! I just had finished painting my tank and got it back on a and a few days later wanted to give it a polish. Put it up on a 2 X 4 and was polishing on the left side when it went over to the right. Broke my nearly new Spitfire windshield.
But as all the terrible thoughts of the new paint being damaged that was the scariest moments. But at least that came out with out a scratch.
A guess on the bad running after the drop but it cleared out and ran fine after that=
Possibly the carb fuel vents overflowed and ran fuel into the charcoal canister, and when the evap system purged back into the intake it was much richer than normal for a while till it cleared out. Charcoal canisters have charcoal granules which can absorb the fuel vapor, but can get flooded if fuel runs into it. If you don't have an evap system forget all the above guess work.

Attachments

#18 ·
Last year at bikes, blues and bbq I was putting my bike on the trailer (wife's grandpa wanted to take the rv and I didn't argue) and the ramp slid off because I didnt check to make sure it was in the right position after I put it on the back lip. Ended up falling off the bike which was about 2.5 feet off the ground and she went over on her right side. Luckily the only that happened was a bend passenger peg mount. A pair of channel locks and some black paint later good as new.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.