Honda Shadow Forums banner

Need electronic guru help

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Scared 
#1 ·
As most of y'all know I have replaced almost all the bulbs on our bikes with LED bulbs.

When I installed a LED bulb in the low fuel indicator socket the bulb stays on dimly. When I first turn the ignition on the bulb lights up brightly for a few seconds (as did the incandescent bulb) and then turns dim (the incandescent bulb would go out).

I would like to get this working properly and I think there is some bleed over thru the sensor that is keeping the bulb on dim. I think a resistor will fix this but I do not know what value to use or where to put it. It has been many years since I have played with electronics.

So if you can help me out I would be grateful.

#5 ·
I'd look for a variable resistor so you can dial in the minimal amount of additional resistance (maybe 0 to 500 ohms). You will need to know the watt draw of the LED to make sure you don't overload the resistor. Can't say for sure what you will need though. The aforementioned LED calculator is for a bare LED on it's own. Since you probably purchased an LED replacement bulb, it already has a resistor in it.

#8 ·
The LED bulb is for 12 volt systems, actually it has a wide operating voltage.

I will try another bulb in the socket to see if I might have got a bad bulb,,,the easy checks we forget:smile2: Will have to try another color,,,at $6 a bulb getting a bunch to check with just wont work.

Thanks for all the responses,,,gives me some ideas on where to go. Gotta go to Radio Shack this weekend to get a resistor for another project,,,might as well get a hand full and a few diodes as well.

#12 ·
Actually... the light being partially lit could be considered a 'feature'! At least you know it has power and that it has a partial ground. That being said... I'm assuming it comes on bright when you are low on fuel. Another avenue to consider... a relay to control the light. Have the low fuel sensor trigger the relay which will turn the light on full. Small voltage leakage... probably caused by your low fuel sensor... probably won't trigger the relay.

#14 ·
Yeah,,,that has been my opinion on this,,,but it is messing with my CDO!!!

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.