Honda Shadow Forums banner

Tire Change Cost Question

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Damon78 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Basically called a couple places to see what it would cost to drop my bike off, along with a couple new tires / tubes, and have them replace the tires. I'm hearing around 170 bucks in labor. Is that reasonable from what you guys have seen? Just trying to get an idea of what makes sense. It's an 04 Aero 750. Thanks.

#6 ·
Bingo.... I just had my front tire changed here in town by the local Honda dealer (where I originally bought my '07 Shadow Aero 750).

Tire: Shinko Tour Master 120/90-17 bought off Amazon: $63.41 (w/ free shipping)
Labor/parts/etc... from dealer to change the tire for me: $42.97

Can't beat that!

#5 ·
Learn how to do it.Steve's tire shop ,we mount,balance and install our own tires.I put a tachometer cable on that bike today, the tire change was easier.

#7 ·
Like JPR said, if you're bringing them the whole bike and they are pulling the wheels then reinstalling them that price sounds about right.

#8 ·
If you don't have a jack to put the bike on you have no choice but to take it to a shop. Most shops charge you more if you bring in your own tire instead of buying it from them. They make a profit from the tires they sell also. 1 to 2 hours labor charge is a bout normal for wheels on the bike.

#10 ·
Shops here charge $25/ tire to mount and balance. If you roll in your tire and bring them a new one it's the same price. If you ride the bike in and take a tire with you it's at least $45/tire unless it is a bagger that there is extra work to remove the tire.
If you can't take the wheels off of the bike and take it in, you probably are not saving that much buying online and taking them in. Your local independent shops need the money and will work cheaper to get you in the store to shop for goodies. Support them every chance u get.

#17 ·
Appreciate all the replies, guys. I definitely want to be able to do it myself in the future, but without the tools and know-how, I thought I'd have the shop do it. Rethinking that now. I think I can buy most of the tools I need for the price it would take them to change them, and then I'd have the tools for the next time.

#18 ·
It really is an easy job. I bought Pirelli tires, tubes, tire spoons, and Dyna beads for a little over $200. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that will walk you through it. The two hardest parts are breaking the bead and remounting the rear tire. It helps to have an extra set of hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.