engine quits while riding then nothing... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

engine quits while riding then nothing...

happened twice.. once I had to call the "tow" truck!

it's a 92 Steed 600. She started fine, But as I ride awhile, I noticed the engine starts to sputter a little... But when I open the throttle, she seems to respond well...

But as I ride more, the engine stops.

When I try to restart her, I hear the started motor whine, but the engine doesn't turn at all.

I'm sensing there are a couple of different issues. Engine sputtering and engine not turning might be different issues.. or may be not.

any ideas ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:19 AM

How do you know the engine isn't turning over? I would check the battery voltage. A low battery will cause those symptoms.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Garage
Possibly your gas vent, if it's clogged you may have a vacuum in your tank causing it to starve for fuel. Next time it starts to sputter, open the gas cap and see if that helps.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Mutazu LW Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Garage
This could be a couple of things. Like @smurfy71 1 said, it might be the gas tank vent tube being clogged, and taking off the gas cap will let you know if that's what the problem is, as the bike will start and run fine without the cap on, but when you put the cap back on, it will die a little later. Another possibility is the coils. If there is a crack in the coil, it will run fine for a while, until that coil heats up and separates, causing the bike to die, and not be able to start until it's cooled off enough to get closer together so the spark can jump the gap again, and then runs until it heats up and separates and dies again. You should also check the 3-yellow wires, as that can cause all kinds of trouble, including not starting or dying. You can get a replacement for that connector for about $3, if it's burned/fried. Another possibility is the start switch itself. Open the switch housing, and check it for loose wires and good contact, clean it, and put it back together. However, that usually is seen with pushing the start button, and nothing happens but the lights going out.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
'03 Spirit 750
Ride Bells by blue flames and shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM

Gas tank vent wouldn't prevent the engine from turning over. This is an electrical issue.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
...unless he means the engine "turns over," but doesn't start...

There's no such thing as "Spare Time" or "Free Time" or "Down Time."
Time is time. All you have is "Life Time." GO.
-- Henry Rollins
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
How do you know the engine isn't turning over? I would check the battery voltage. A low battery will cause those symptoms.
thanks for the reply! When I try to start her, there is no response at the engine. I mean the engine dosen't even try to start.

Last time this happened, it was with a freshly recharged battery. So may be the battery isn't being recharged while I'm riding?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Possibly your gas vent, if it's clogged you may have a vacuum in your tank causing it to starve for fuel. Next time it starts to sputter, open the gas cap and see if that helps.
interesting...

Will try this next time!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
This could be a couple of things. Like @smurfy71 1 said, it might be the gas tank vent tube being clogged, and taking off the gas cap will let you know if that's what the problem is, as the bike will start and run fine without the cap on, but when you put the cap back on, it will die a little later. Another possibility is the coils. If there is a crack in the coil, it will run fine for a while, until that coil heats up and separates, causing the bike to die, and not be able to start until it's cooled off enough to get closer together so the spark can jump the gap again, and then runs until it heats up and separates and dies again. You should also check the 3-yellow wires, as that can cause all kinds of trouble, including not starting or dying. You can get a replacement for that connector for about $3, if it's burned/fried. Another possibility is the start switch itself. Open the switch housing, and check it for loose wires and good contact, clean it, and put it back together. However, that usually is seen with pushing the start button, and nothing happens but the lights going out.
wow! thanks for the advices!

What do you mean by "3-yellow wires"?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
Gas tank vent wouldn't prevent the engine from turning over. This is an electrical issue.
yes. that's what I am thinking. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page