Electrical Problem? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Problem?

Bought this 2001 Shadow 750 ACE (C3) last summer and rode it without trouble until late Fall. Winterized it (oil change, wash, chain lube, fog cylinders, stabilize fuel, battery on tender, etc) and it started right up this Spring.

Have ridden twice this Spring; 1st time about 55 miles on rural highway, and the 2nd, about 200 miles on rural highways; both times, held speed to 60 mph or lower.

PROBLEM: on both rides, when cruising at about 55 mph, suddenly the engine 'cuts out' for a 1/2 second, then picks up again where it left off. When the power is off, its like someone had turned the ignition off for half a second, then turned it back on again. No sputtering when picks up again just continues on like nothing had happened, but often backfires once when the engine comes back 'on' again. This has happened about a half-dozen times now, and I cannot predict when it will happen.

Another curious thing was that when I pulled over the first time this happened, I could not find neutral - green light would just not light up. When I turned the ignition off and on again, the neutral light was working again, the bike started up as it usually does, and I was on my way again.

This is concerning when it happens when I'm cruising, but downright dangerous when I'm trying to accelerate to pass another vehicle!

Any ideas as to what is happening? And how to fix it/prevent it from happening again? I'm NOT a mechanic by any measure....

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 PM

A common source of problems of this type are dirty kill switch and corroded connection at the starter relay/main fuse assembly. Less common would be a faulty ignition switch. Obviously always start with the battery connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM

Maybe stand switch momentarily screwing up?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
When you are riding try to tap on the ignition switch and the kill switch and any wiring up on the bars. And look for all the electrical connections to the ignition and try to wiggle them while it is running at idle to see if anything shows up. Disconnect and reconnect any you can get to. And look at the fuse for the ignition to see if it fits loosely in the fuse clips in the box. Maybe just change it.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
I`m thinking loose connection also...
Battery terminals often cause this problem when they become loose...
This is my Laptop diagnosis,
D
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice; I'll check out the connections.

Failing that, is it possibly something to do with the spark being stopped/absent for a second?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireRebelRider View Post
Thanks for your advice; I'll check out the connections.

Failing that, is it possibly something to do with the spark being stopped/absent for a second?
The spark is absent for a second as you say because the ignition system loses juice/power for a second. When the power comes back on the first few sparks will ignite the fuel built up in the exhaust. Because even though you lose spark for a second, the pistons are still going up and down pulling in air/fuel mixture and pushing it out the exhaust. When the power comes back on...Pow! Loose connection somewhere. Check where your battery tender is connected to the battery for loose or corroded.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: SW Georgia Between Americus & Beuna Vista - Plains & Ellaville - Preston & Andersonville
Yeah, @09Spirit , I`ve played with that as I would cut off ignition, let them gases build up in the exhaust, then turn the key back on = POW!
Done it once and blew a muffler seam wide open, which in turn heated the bed of the pick up truck, which then got hot enough to catch a load of used mattersses on fire...
I was kinda wreckless as a young`un,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page