Honda Full Synthetic Oil - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Honda Full Synthetic Oil

5/9/07 -- Updated to highlight certain key bullets in red.
-- Don

Offered just FYI ... no advocacy ... just FYI.

Over on the GL1800Riders board there was a post about Honda announcing a new full-synthetic oil. The thread over there is:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=84192

Specifics:

Pro Honda HP4S Fact Sheet

∑ HP4S is American Hondaís first fully synthetic 4-stroke oil
HP4S is available in 10w30 viscosity only
∑ HP4S is compatible with synthetic blends such as HP4, as well as regular petroleum products like GN4. In other words, customers can switch to (and from) HP4S without any special crankcase flushing, etc.
HP4S can be used in all 2006 or newer Honda Motorcycles, ATVís, Scooters, or PWC.
HP4S will NOT be recommended for use in earlier models as it would conflict with the 10w40 viscosity suggested in the owners manuals.
HP4S retains the same recommended service (oil change) intervals as called for in the owners manuals.
∑ HP4S does NOT contain any MOLY.
∑ HP4S part number is 08C35-SYN-1030M, Honda Code is 8589731.
. HP4S is sold in cases of 12 quarts per case
∑ HP4S is packaged in a red bottle with a silver label and cap.
∑ Once our initial launch is completed on 6/1/06, dealers will order the new HP4S through their assigned ExxonMobil Distributor.

HP4S offers the following performance benefits:
∑ Lower fluid friction than conventional oils
∑ Better oxidation resistance for better high heat performance
∑ Higher film strength under heat and load than conventional oils
∑ Quicker flow to vital engine parts at low temperature, especially during start up
∑ Maximum power due to less frictional drag from the oil

Bulletin: 07-0257
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AngryHatter

Calling MarkC, stat!
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, MarkC let me know if I should give it a shot over the Rotella I'm using. The Rotella is much more reasonable though $$$$$$.....

2008 Black Goldwing ABS
xrayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Note that it's a 10W-30 weight oil. My 2007 Goldwing owner's manual does list 10W-30 as the recommended weight in most temperature ranges with the more traditional 10W-40 for higher temperature ranges. So it looks like Honda is starting to move to a new viscosity recommendation. FWIW, I'm using a non-Honda 10W-40 synthetic in the Arizona heat.

Note also that Honda is not recommending this for older make Hondas where the owner's manual calls for 10W-40. There's some question as to whether that's based on a technical reason or whether it's a legal/administrative thing. Many suspect the latter. But I don't know for sure.

Speculation, based on how Honda dealers are to acquire their supply from ExxonMobil distributor, is that the oil is manufactured by Mobil.

Again, I'm not advocating for or against this new Honda oil. Just bringing it to the attention of this membership.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Boy it sure did take me a long time to get back to this thread
Not knowing that much about the HP4S oil makes it a little hard to have the scoop on it.

But! its a modern synthetic oil (That's a good thing)
If it's produced by Exxon/Mobil it's probably (or could be) a take off from one of their current line of oils. (rather than a whole new oil).
The big THING that their marketing is playing on is the NO moly or at lest VERY low moly.
So there is NO reason to think that it wouldn't be a premium oil!
But there is also NO reason to think that its some MAGIC oil or fountain of youth either!
My prediction!
Some will find it the greatest!
Some will find it no better that what they were using! (and not worth the price)
Some will find it caused some problems for their bike!

I don't feel that the oil will be good enough for me to drop everything I've done to find an oil that my bike likes to switch to it.

The best chance this new oil has is to use it in a new bike starting at the first 600 mile service. (if the person is for sure he or she wants to run synthetic oil).

I'll keep an eye on the forum and the net for testimonies of both good and bad about the oil to see how it shakes out, but that takes a long time for the results to turn up.

MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mark, I now have about 300 miles on the new Honda HP4S oil. I think its fine. You can tell it flows better, but still wondering how it will hold up to these 90+ days. Shifting is the most precise of all oils I have tried. With Golden Spectro it was mushy. With Amsoil after about 1000 miles it was rough or hard. With GN4 or regular Spectro it was a hit or miss.

Someone told me it was like shooting water through a syringe compared to cooking oil. And that describes it pretty well. The best? Who knows. But it is like H2O lubrication. Time will tell and will keep you informed. The bike does seem to like it though.

2008 Kawasaki Nomad
trjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement