What do I need to do to change out stock pipes? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do I need to do to change out stock pipes?

I have a '06 Shadow Spirit 750 - love the bike but would like a little bit louder set of pipes. I've heard Vance & Hines would be a good match for my bike, Cobra's are too loud for my taste (and probably my neighbors). I'd like something with a little growl under acceleration but not too loud at cruise. I'd also like to know do I really need to change the carb jetting and if I do, how do I know what's right. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, (adjust my own valves, etc.) just need to know what to do. Any suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I put Vance & Hines Cruzers on my Aero and had the dealer install a Dynojet kit. As near as I can tell they installed the DJ126 main jet along with the Dynojet needle on groove #2 and the Dynojet slide spring DSP014. I didn't ask for sure what they used but looking at the parts in the Dynojet kit it looks like that is what they used. Check my post "Results of Dyno Tune" today and you'll see that everything is spot on with good horsepower and torque. I've also added the Thunder Mfg air cleaner setup with a K&N filter. The bike runs great and is very strong right up to the rev limiter. The V&H pipes are reasonably quiet in the neighborhood but have a nice bark when on the throttle.
Les - Woody Journal Rider #75

2009 Harley Lowrider and 2007 350Z
Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can follow this link to learn how to rejett your own carbs.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26894

1985 Shadow VT1100C
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to puckothewilde Send a message via Yahoo to puckothewilde

I've got the Cobras on my '00 Spirit 1100, and I agree they are a bit loud. I think I'm just getting old. I'm not too worried about the neighbors, though. I live in the country and everyone has 1-5 acre lots, and about half the people out here have bikes. The guy across the street has a Virago with loud pipes and there's an older guy a couple houses down that has a Vulcan just as loud. So the neighbors are used to it. I'm getting used to them.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Roadhouse 65's slip on mufflers.
Usually less than $300 with tips. Totally happy with them on wifey's bike. No rejet if you leave the baffles in and they are easily repackable too. Not too noisy makes the bike sound "bigger".
Love the looks!

[img]
[/img]
2005 Shadow Spirit 750.. Back from the ashes.
2005 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten.
Tropic traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, what he said.
Change the mufflers only and not the pipes. Several companies make some nice sounding mufflers. Cobra mufflers with baffles sound good to me.
Adjust the idle air jet, especially if you live below 1,000 MSL.
Al
callmeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

If ya stay outa the airbox you won't need to rejet.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like Roadhouse is the way to go. Googled Roadhouse and found their website. They have some sound clips and had one for the 750. Sounded about the way I'd like my bike to sound. Probably the best part is no rejetting is necessary if you use the furnished baffles. I'm sure I could do it, I'm just too tight on time and it's a hassle digging into the bike. I did a valve adjustment a few weeks ago - there's almost as much plumbing on the bike as in my truck. Thanks for all the help to everyone.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

if you do find you need to re jet the bike I don't think it will take you long to do it. I have done a 1100 spirit & a sabre they each only took me about hour & half from start to finish. Your bike should be almost same. also use the post that shadowjack told about. it will help(I believe it done on a 1100 motor)
Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

i just upgraded from stock (were a little 'scratched' too, so i couldn't live with that!) and asked honda for suggestions: wanted more growl than stock, but not obnoxious. they recommended V&H ClassicsII, they'd put some on another bike and thought the owner was very pleased, same concerns as mine.
turns out they definately were louder, and i'm not used to it yet either, but i think they'll be just what i was looking for. honda dealer installed, package was less than 550.
dakotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement