Final drive ratio change? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Final drive ratio change?

I read the member's comments in "General Discussion" about his switching to a 38 tooth rear sprocket and his motive for so doing and this brought back memories. My brain had become so mineralized that I had forgotten that I also did this years ago on a Honda XL350 with satisfactory results. Now that I have a shaft/final drive Sabre, can this also be done to the ring gear of that unit? I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this.
hlaltimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Kechke

I'm thinking on it too since a few days. I realized, that there's no kit or parts to do this, so if I want to change the final drive ratio I have to do some machinework. To change the final drive ratio you need a new ring gear and a new pinion gear.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I logged onto another metric site where they said, basically, no. I can't remember what the other metric bike was, but there physically isn't very much room inside of the rear end casting for a significantly larger ring gear, so some riders just try switching to a larger rear tire to alleviate their frustration. Wouldn't it be cool if you could simply swap the fifth transmission gear for another one??? I would buy it.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to downinit25i

I remember hearing a rumor that the old shadow shaft drives could be interchanged with the magna drives which had a different ratio. Maybe there's some model overlap today too.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Kechke

I think we need a smaller ring gear, because the transmission is too short, the engine works on higher rpm. If you put in a smaller ring gear, one mainshaft rotation will mean more tire rotation. If you put in a larger ring geat, one main shaft rotation will cause less tire rotation.

Maybe I'll try to buy a final drive unit and make a new gear. If I can make this I'll tell you.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are ring/pinion gear sets that will interchange/swap and the change is not all that great...but noticeable. The 1982, V-45 (750) Magna is a 3.18 and will work in our Shadow rear drive. Just gotta make sure you have all the "spacers" needed to changeover plus the required oil seals/o-rings, etc.

The stock gearset of the Shadows is 3.40

I got a 1995, 1100 Shadow 4-speed and it's OK for where I live/ride. On long trips (300-500mi) on the Interstate...I wish I had the 5-speed tranny, but I don't miss the 5th gear.....got that on the Gold Wing.

Bullzeyet
bullzeyet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to blonodmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzeyet
There are ring/pinion gear sets that will interchange/swap and the change is not all that great...but noticeable. The 1982, V-45 (750) Magna is a 3.18 and will work in our Shadow rear drive. Just gotta make sure you have all the "spacers" needed to changeover plus the required oil seals/o-rings, etc.

I got a 1995, 1100 Shadow 4-speed and it's OK for where I live/ride. On long trips (300-500mi) on the Interstate...I wish I had the 5-speed tranny, but I don't miss the 5th gear.....got that on the Gold Wing.

Bullzeyet
i will have to see what this cost too my ace seams im allways looking for another gear over 100mph
blonodmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
This is true for the mid-1980's Shadows and I see it listed as such in the 1984 VT700 Manuals. I wouldn't doubt that the VT700 and VT800 may have kept the 3.40 ratio up through 1988.

The manuals for the 1988 Shadow 1100 as well as for the 1997 and up 1100 Spirit, 1100 Tourer, 1100 Sabre and 1100 ACE list the final reduction as 3.091.

Dave

2003 Spirit 1100, 2006 Suzuki GS500F, 1996 Kawasaki KLR 250, 1974 Yamaha DT250
ShadowDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, your right...The ring gear would have to be smaller and also compatible with the pinion gear. I did ask three guys today standing at the service counter at my Honda shop if they ever heard of someone switching the transmission fifth gear for another and I got a dull "No!" This is why some riders have two or even three motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.