What Do I Check When My Motorcycle Won't Start? - Page 6 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #51 (permalink)

Default Starter problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proal
well i can arc the solenoid and it will crank and start, so the starter good. so when i push the starter button in like in the corners and let off of the button a little it will sometimes start, so i pretty much am putting it on the starter switch. wellp ill let yall know how it turns out
In reading through this forum, I found where proal had maybe similar problems to mine. My 98 1100 Aero has been sitting for a long time, maybe 8 months. I just charged the battery, and it's testing well. But when I press the starter switch the engine doesn't crank. I remember on old cars that when the solenoid was bad, you'd get this clicking sound when trying to start, but no engine crank.

So I'm not much of a wrench. How do I test the starter? How do I arc the solenoid?
Oceanside is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Starter problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanside
So I'm not much of a wrench. How do I test the starter? How do I arc the solenoid?
[All of this is, no doubt, covered in the previous posts in this thread.]

Let's not panic and start taking the starter apart just yet.

Check the kill switch and all the safeties; clutch and side stand. Try it with the side stand UP, clutch pulled IN and tranny in Neutral.

The most common cause of what you describe is the contact on the start BUTTON itself. You can sometimes prove that by pressing and wiggling or by repeated pressing the button firmly; often it will make contact and work for a while.

When you turn the key on, does the headlight light up brightly ??
If so, the first thing to check is the switch behind the button.

If you don't have one already, a multi-meter would be very helpful. They can be had at WalMart or auto parts stores or big-box hardware for about $10.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #53 (permalink)

Default Re: Starter problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2
Quote:
[All of this is, no doubt, covered in the previous posts in this thread.]
My apologies, I clearly should have read the posts more thoroughly. I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Let's not panic and start taking the starter apart just yet.

Check the kill switch and all the safeties; clutch and side stand. Try it with the side stand UP, clutch pulled IN and tranny in Neutral.
Did that last night and this morning, side stand up, Neutral light brightly on, I always through habit pull the clutch in when starting regardless of what gear or neutrality the tranny is in.

Quote:
The most common cause of what you describe is the contact on the start BUTTON itself. You can sometimes prove that by pressing and wiggling or by repeated pressing the button firmly; often it will make contact and work for a while.

When you turn the key on, does the headlight light up brightly ??
If so, the first thing to check is the switch behind the button.

If you don't have one already, a multi-meter would be very helpful. They can be had at WalMart or auto parts stores or big-box hardware for about $10.
I honestly don't remember if it continued to burn brightly. I think it turned off when I pressed the start button. It did burn brightly when I had the key on (but wasn't pressing start.) My VTX turns off the headlamp when I hit start, so my mind may be "filling in the blanks" of my memory. I'll check this stuff when I get home tonight. I'm trying to sell the Shadow, I don't have room in my budget for two bikes. (Plus the VTX is newer, and bigger, and still a HONDA!)

Again, thanks for the help, I'll check things out tonight and see what I can accomplish. I'll re-post once I have either gotten the bike to start (and determined the fix) or if I have more questions.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #54 (permalink)

Default Not looking too good

Ok, so I was right: The headlight does go off when I push the start button. I do get the noise from the Solenoid as well, but it won't crank. I hooked it up to the battery charger, and then pressed the start button, and still no crank, but louder solenoid.

Taking a look at the solenoid, I did see that there were two leads at the top, separated by a thin piece of plastic (so as to keep them from arcing, it certainly seems.) Going out on a limb, I got an insulated pair of needle nose pliers, and made contact with each lead. The headlamp dimmed, but no engine crank - nothing at all, no solenoid noise, nada.

Am I headed in the wrong direction here? It seems I can't get the starter motor to crank the engine.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Not looking too good

Quote:
Am I headed in the wrong direction here? It seems I can't get the starter motor to crank the engine.
No, right direction.
Pointing to a bad starter or locked up engine.
You might want to start your own thread to pursue it further......instead of putting it all on the end of the sticky about the basics of "won't start".
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #56 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice in here. The bike was listed for sale, I was looking for $3K, someone has offered me $2500 "as is" (he knows that I can't get it started, and understands that it might be serious.) I think I'm going to take it, since a starter motor sells for $550, and wish him well.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #57 (permalink)

Default Starter Problems?

Okay so I have a starting problem question and need some advice. I have a 1985 Honda Shadow 700. When I go to start the bike, cranks but won't start. I can rock the bike for a moment or two while starting it and it will turn over. I can let it sit and warm up and once I shut it off and then go to start it again, I have the same thing? Is it carbs? Fuel Line?

Any thoughts? It seems to then run a little rougher than last year.
chris.welch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Starter Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.welch
Any thoughts?
Yes. Did you READ the other posts in this thread ??
AND not good to "pile on here"; see the answers in the other thread you already started !!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #59 (permalink)

Default ANY Help would be appreciated!

OK, so I take the bike out two times in the begining of March, about 90 mile ride both times, NO PROBLEMS, (THIS is after being stored all winter in front of the house) We go on vacation, come back and my wife's uncle is in the hospital dying. Long story short the other day is the first chance I get to take the bike out. Put in key turn it on, NOTHING. Idiot lights are very dim but engine doesnt crank. I go out and buy a battery tender jr plug it in, (according to light (steady red)) it is charging. Say should take about 16 hours. Leave it on for 20, light still red. Disconnect, turn on key, idiot light VERY bright, but still won't crank. IS it likely JUST the battery? Please tell me it is, EVEN if it is a lie! Not very mechanical, but not COMPLETELY non mechanical. Suppose to rain for the next couple days, but I sure would love to get this running.

FYI
1999 Honda Shadow ACE 750

THANK YOU
Evil Scotsman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: ANY Help would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman
Leave it on for 20, light still red. Disconnect, turn on key, idiot light VERY bright, but still won't crank. IS it likely JUST the battery?
Yes.

What happened to the dash lights when you tried to engage the starter ??? I'm guessing they went out or very dim again. If so, a new battery is the first step.

Don't go really cheap. A good AGM battery is more forgiving of a little neglect than the old wet cell ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.