How to test a fuel pump on an 83 VT750 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to test a fuel pump on an 83 VT750

I have just purchased a non-running VT750. I have never had a bike with a fuel pump before, and I would like to know if it working. When there is power to the pump (using a jumper wire), it just clicks once - is it supposed to do that or is it supposed to keep on pumping?
Hairy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to downinit25i

I'm pretty sure that it tracks with engine speed. While the bike idles, it pumps once every few seconds. If you rev it up it will start pumping faster. Maybe it's not pumping because the ignition isn't going.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thans for your reply. That gives me a better understanding of what to test. I will make sure that I am getting a pulse voltage to the pump.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pull a carb fuel hose and turn the ing. on, got gas running out the hose?? it's working. most elc. pumps without a internal by pass will shut off when the carb hose is pressurized to the out put pressure.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: How to test a fuel pump on an 83 VT750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Hobbit
I have just purchased a non-running VT750. I have never had a bike with a fuel pump before, and I would like to know if it working. When there is power to the pump (using a jumper wire), it just clicks once - is it supposed to do that or is it supposed to keep on pumping?
In order to test it you need to build a wire with a diode in it to test ... It's in the clymer manual, but I don't have it with me ...
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to downinit25i

Quote:
Pull a carb fuel hose and turn the ing. on, got gas running out the hose?? it's working. most elc. pumps without a internal by pass will shut off when the carb hose is pressurized to the out put pressure.
That would make a lot of sense, I guess...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

It works. I ended up pulling a hose of a carb and cranking the motor. I got flow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement