Oil filter fit - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil filter fit

It has been well discussed on the postings dealing with oil, that the Purolator Pure One oil filter seems to provide a good alternative to other filters including the units offered by Honda. I recently replaced a Fram filter that I was using on my 1997 1100 Ace with a Purolator. In looking at the Purolator Pure One filter next to the Fram during the oil change I could see why many Shadow owners switch over to the Pure One "car" oil filter. The Purolators construction and materials looked superior to that of the Fram, or for that matter the K&N I had on before the fram, and the Honda unit before that.
The Purolater was found at the local Western Auto Store for $6.50. The filter, model # PL14610 is sold for cars but fits the Honda perfectly. There are two sizes that seem to fit the Ace, the PL14612 that is the same size as stock unit, and the PL14610 filter that is about 1/2 longer and was the one available locally. I was concerned that the extra length might give me some problems with clearance around the bikes frame, but it turned out to have more then enough room. Not sure if this would be the case with other bike models. Take a look at MarksC posting in the oil sticky for a link on oil filters to see if this works on your Shadow, I was glad I did.

Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

The wife and I found the Pure One PL14610s to work out fine for us as well. Not only is the filter reasonably priced but seems to be high quality. A friend of ours that has an 1100 Aero uses them too.

This site Rocks for information. Gotta love it!

Mark
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

when it comes to oil filters, bigger is better that is why i use the Baldwin
filter(B1431) it's 4" long and fits my VT1100-T just fine.

ROD
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use the 14610 or the 14612, either will work one is longer than the other. Hell it's the same filter for my wife's Murano and Vulcan 750 - I have pretty much exclusively used the Pure One brand - very happy with the results.

"when it comes to oil filters, bigger is better that is why i use the Baldwin
filter(B1431) it's 4" long and fits my VT1100-T just fine. "

As long as the flow rate is sufficient and the relief pressure is the same that would be a true statement.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

how true,
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 12-14
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 400
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

i run baldwin filters on my truck (KW T2000 with a CAT 3406E).
i see a lot of trucks with Baldwin, FleetGuard and Wix
i don't see to many trucks with Purolator filters, some but not many.
I use Baldwin filters in all my vehicles, in my car's(3) and motorcycle's(2) .
they make filters for MILLION $ heavy equipment ,
you have to go to a truck parts store to get the filters, also you get a filter that is made for rough and dirty conditons.
you dont sale to farmers and heavy equipment op. for over 50 years if your product is not the very best.

BIGGER is better
most of the time

ROD
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just bought a 2003 Spirit 750(first bike) and can't figure out what kind of oil filter it requires. The owners manual mentions nothing on this. How can I find out what filter fit I need?

Also, my 2 cents on pure one filters; i've heard nothing but good things one these filters and started using them on my car about 3 years ago.
shobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

shobuddy in the technical discussion at the top there is a sticky called oilolgy in the first post there is a link to a cross reference on oil filters you can find your oil filters there.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you, I see two pure one filters fit my bike (category 5 on the list). Is the bigger better when it comes to oil filters?

I find it weird that the owner's manual wouldn't give a filter fit recomendation.

Edit: upon viewing Pure One's site here http://www.pureoil.com/documents/Mot...rcycle_ATV.pdf
They recommend the ML 16817 for the 03 Spirit 750. Howcome this one isn't listed on the aforementioned list? Are bike oil filters more expensive than car filters?
shobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Normally bike filters or more expensive why because they can are they better I doubt it all is does is filter the oil. If the longer one fits I would use it because it offers more filtering. My opinon.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Regarding the Purolater ML 16817 (Bike) vs the PL14610 (car filter) I did a search on the ML filter and came up with the following from the VN750 user site.
Quote:
The Purolator ML16817 is not actually made by Purolator and is not recommended for our bikes. The two Purolator filters to use are PL14612(2.5 inches long) and PL14610(3.25 inches long), the longer is recommended."
I've used the Purolator Pure One PL14610 with excellent results. Checking the box on one I'm about to install shows it's made in the USA. I've never tried the ML filter so can't say how good they are, or if there is a difference, but there are some postings by owners who indicated problems with them.

Doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.