Is Stage 1 Jet kit on stock bike any good? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fordfasterr
Default Is Stage 1 Jet kit on stock bike any good?

I'm just wondering if there would be any improvements after installing a dynojet stage 1 jet kit on a stock bike?

The bike is a 97 1100 Shadow Spirit, and the mods are K&N air filter, and hole-saw mod on the exhaust pipes.

What I am looking for is better throttle response, and a slight boost in the mid-range torque.

I was looking on ebay and I found a stage 1 dynojet jet kit .... Would this improve overall power even though the bike is basically stock?

Any ideas or suggestions ????
Fort Lauderdale, FL
fordfasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is Stage 1 Jet kit on stock bike any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
I'm just wondering if there would be any improvements after installing a dynojet stage 1 jet kit on a stock bike?

The bike is a 97 1100 Shadow Spirit, and the mods are K&N air filter, and hole-saw mod on the exhaust pipes.

What I am looking for is better throttle response, and a slight boost in the mid-range torque.

I was looking on ebay and I found a stage 1 dynojet jet kit .... Would this improve overall power even though the bike is basically stock?

Any ideas or suggestions ????
On a completely stock bike, you'll notice a very slight improvement in performance... nothing to write home about.
One of the biggest improvements that can be remedied is the fairly long
warm up time. Shadows are, by nature, cold blooded and take a long
time to warm up... the VLX's are the worst.
Proper rejetting a completely stock bike can cut the warm up time considerably.

You said that you have a K&N and drilled pipes, so a jet kit would be more
beneficial to you.
Yes, you'll notice a little bit of a difference in power. A little more
than doing a stock system, but not as much as a complete pipe change.
You'll notice the bike warm up faster when cold and you'll likely notice
the bike is able to breathe better at WOT.
You should notice a good bit more top end pulling power and rolling
on the throttle at cruising speed should be a little more noticable.
Bottom end won't be changed that much on the 1100's.
On some of the smaller bikes, it can drastically help the bottom end.
To get more on the bottom end, you'll need to get a box that advances the
timing or do the timing mod.

You most likely will notice a couple of MPG's loss after doing a rejet,
but you will definitely notice a difference. It's not going to make your
bike a rocket by any means, but it will be the least expensive performance
mod you can do.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Litnin, you are a great resource. I am still pondering a re-jet and I'm grateful you are willing to answer the same questions repeatedly because you keep it on my mind...

I think I'm going to do it. I took a look at my airbox and that sucker is restricted as hell. Would a K&N filter upgrad ONLY (in addition to re-jet) be beneficial without any other airbox mods on my Aero 750? IOW, can I slap in a K&N filter and re-jet or would you also recommend going the whole desnorkle route?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick750
Litnin, you are a great resource. I am still pondering a re-jet and I'm grateful you are willing to answer the same questions repeatedly because you keep it on my mind...

I think I'm going to do it. I took a look at my airbox and that sucker is restricted as hell. Would a K&N filter upgrad ONLY (in addition to re-jet) be beneficial without any other airbox mods on my Aero 750? IOW, can I slap in a K&N filter and re-jet or would you also recommend going the whole desnorkle route?

Well if you are going to bother going through all the trouble of re-jetting, why not just ditch the snorkel too ?

=)

And thanks for the tip LI !
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Well if you are going to bother going through all the trouble of re-jetting, why not just ditch the snorkel too ?
I know, seems logical right? My only thing is, I want to be able to go back to stock with minimal difficulty. Re-jetting is not too drastic as long as you keep your stock jets (according to several sources any drilling done will have minimum effect on carb converted back to stock).

Pipes - easy, get some crush gaskets and put the stock pipes back on. K&N filter, put the stock filter back in. Re-jet - replace the stock jets/positioning. Once I desnorkle though... I suppose I could buy a replacement from cheapcycleparts or something if I really wanted to change it back... oh what the hell you're right.

Being my first time though I would be afraid I'd get in there and cripple the bike with my idiot-hands.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Being my first time though I would be afraid I'd get in there and cripple the bike with my idiot-hands.

De-snorkeling the bike most likely wont make a difference if everything else was bone stock anyway...
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Your 97 VT1100C is one model of the Shadow that came from the factory needing to be rejetted (even stock)!
I don't think I would try any air box mods on the bike either, I even went back to the stock air filter. The 1100 Spirit seems to have more of a fuel problem than it does lack of air.
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

De-snorkeling the bike most likely wont make a difference if everything else was bone stock anyway...
Don't go de-snorkeling unless you like to mess around alot with jets. (Your going to have your carbs out a few times). I used a Factory-Pro jet kit and have 192 front and 198 rear for main jets (5 sizes up from stock). Needle on middle clip and shimmed 0.5mm. I also did the de-snorkeling, timing advance mod, pipes, K&N filter, Barnett clutch & springs.

I made an aluminum/rubber wrap around shield to protect the front side of the air box intake from side winds and rain that can make your bike run flakey at times. Turbulence at the intake of the air box isnt a good thing.

BTW, the Factory Pro jet kit is mostly unnecessary. You need the needles and the clips. Past that you need to order larger jets than what come in the kit.

My bike runs great at this point and I'm averaging 44~45 mpg on the interstate a little better on the back roads. (Small windshield / no bags / no high wind). The bottom end on my Spirit is a lot better and finally has me at my happy point.

To me it was worth the work I put into it, your results may vary.

Mark
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak
My bike runs great at this point and I'm averaging 44~45 mpg on the interstate a little better on the back roads. (Small windshield / no bags / no high wind). The bottom end on my Spirit is a lot better and finally has me at my happy point.
Mark
The bottom end is a lot better, now you have my attention
Did you do anything to your pilot jets?
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zikzak
Mark
The bottom end is a lot better, now you have my attention
Did you do anything to your pilot jets?
MarkC
Nope. I thought I might have to use the larger pilot jets in the kit, but haven't needed to. I'm glad about that, I didn't want to kill my gas mileage.

I'm setting at about 3 turns out on the idle screws and that seems to be about right.

Now, I'm not saying the de-snorkel had anything to do with the low end... I attribute that to the timeing advance and possibly the Factory Pro needles. I don't have any flat spots either

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement