Honda Shadow Forums banner

Removing/Installing carbs on '86 VT700C

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gumpy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up a sweet looking '86 VT700C. It needs to have the carbs gone though. Problem is, they changed everything in '86. I am used to '83-'85 VT's.

Does anyone have a good way to remove/install these carbs? (I know how to remove carbs, just not these ones)...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

#2 ·
Sure enough! Be prepared to put some time (and cursing) into it! The airbox is an integral part of the frame, and the engine isn't going to move either. I had to write in to this forum when it was time to rebuild my carbs too. Do a search for "1986 VT700 carb removal" and my username, and you'll find a great thread with a lot of good tips. I used the trick that Gumpy wrote about (he has a 1987, but it's the same) and it worked great!

Good luck!

--Justin

#3 ·
Here's the thread Justin is talking about:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My "tricks" are on the second page.

Good luck, and I mean GOOD LUCK, like Justin said, It's a BEAR! It gets easier the 2nd, 3rd, ... times.

I'm still chasing bugaboos in my carbs, I've had butterfly shaft leaks and sticky vacuum pistons, sometimes runs perfect, others it "splutters" and surges. I'm getting convinced I have one or both carbs defective. Been searching E-Bay for another set. Bought a damaged set for $25 just to get the vacuum pistons - both good, might try swapping them. Also just got a set from a VT800, everything seems the same, just might need to swap jets. Haven't had time to get to it though, been out of work 2 months, the wife thinks I should find a job before fixin' the bike - sheesh, go figure!

Good luck,
Gumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.