How many quarts of oil? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How many quarts of oil?

I plan to change the oil tonight and I don't have a manual for this Shadow Aero. How many quarts or litres of oil is recommended for an oil change with the filter?
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

check the sticky at the top of this board.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don ACE 750 Jones
check the sticky at the top of this board.
the sticky does not include the amount of oil. I searched the forum and found two that addressed the amount of oil and both were different. I have been on many forums and am surprised that no one opened their owners manual or Clymers and replied with the answer. You would think this is an HD forum.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

It was a simple question deserving a respectful answer. I can't believe how quickly some wish to sink into expressions of personal contempt. And the use of the symbol was uncalled for.

I used to have a Spirit 1100. That bike took 3.3 quarts with a change of filter.

I'm not exactly sure how much oil an Aero takes. If it's an 1100 Aero, the answer is probably around 3.3. Maybe someone with an Aero will chime in with a more precise number.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

A good approach would be to put in about 3 quarts, run your bike very briefly then check the oil level. Adjust as needed. HTH

JimC in NC
Rider #31 in Woody's Journal Ride
'99 750 ACE, V&H Cruzers, Kury ISOs, Mustang seat, Leatherlyke Bags
'85 Goldwing LTD-"The Smooth Ride!" (now gone but not forgotten)
JimC in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: How many quarts of oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
I plan to change the oil tonight and I don't have a manual for this Shadow Aero. How many quarts or litres of oil is recommended for an oil change with the filter?
Just about everybody on this forum MEANS well, but sometimes the choice of works can be taken wrong.
But to get more of the correct help you need let me ask you more about the motorcycle you have,
What year Areo do you have?
What size engine does it have, 750cc or 1100cc.

Your right about the Oilology don't having information about the amount of oil a certain model holds.

You know there is some good Harley forum's on the net but the ones I've ran across was pretty trashy, we try to keep a high quality forum going here. Post back your bike infomation and we'll try and find somebody that has the info you need.
I see your a fairly new user of the forum, I hope you give us a little more of a chance.
And just incase nobody has welcomed you to the forum,
Welcome!
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just changed the oil on my 2006 Aero 750 yesterday.

The manual says 2.75 U.S. quarts of oil with a filter change.

I put that in, checked it afterwards, and the level looks good.

And just for the record -- I find this forum very helpful, and very friendly.

hbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Add oil until the level is at the upper mark on the stick or in the window with the bike standing in a straight up and down direction will work on just about everything nowadays.

Bill
Old Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the positive support. I changed oil and will explain the laughing nightmare another time.

This is a friends 1999 Shadow Aero 1100. He has chosen not to ride until he is healthier. He wants me to ride it to keep the gremlins away. He told me the oil was good and not to worry. When I checked the oil it was 1.2 quarts low and that was taking the reading with the dip stick screwed in. The local Honda dealer told me to check the oil with the dip stick screwed in. Now I know to check the oil with teh dip stick NOT screwed in, Right?

I added 3 quarts of oil, took a initial reading, and added approx .3 of a quart. I took the level reading again and can not see any oil on the dip stick. I barely see oil on the dip stick if the oil level measurement is taken with the dip stick is screwed in. I'm confused. I am going to add oil until I get a oil level reading with the dip stick not screwed in.

I will post the results after adding the oil.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just topped off the oil. Using the NOT screwed in method the 1999 Shadow Aero 1100 took 4 quarts. Since the drained oil was so black and knowing it was run at low levels, I will change the oil again between 500 and 1,000 miles.

The laughing nightmare oil change story. I have been working on cars for 45 years (I am 60) and I have owned a half dozen various motorcycles. I do all my general maintenance. I have never worked on a cruiser and realized how low they really are with this Aero 1100. My MC jack is holding my KLR so I had to use a drain pan in the driveway. None of my drain pans were low enough so I grabbed a plastic pan sitting on the shelf. It fit I was happy. Dropped the filter and drained the oil. A friend called so I wa snot watching close enough. I noticed oil under and beside the drain pan. Moved the pan thinking it was not catching all the oil. Realized that did not work and the pan must have a leak. Pulled the oily pan out and used a smaller pan to catch the dripping. The drain plastic pan had a hole drilled in it to drain whatever. I got the plastic pan at a swap meet full of parts for my '62 Impala SS. Now I have a driveway full of wiped up oil and a ton of oil soaked rags in the garbage can. HAd to laugh at a proposed 15-20 minute job that turns out to be a messy 45 minute job.

As I said before this is not my motorcycle. A friends wants me to ride it to keep the gremlins away. He has been a good friend for many years. He gave me a place to live my last year of high school and until I enlisted in teh USAF. I have bought and installed a new battery, repaired and adjusted (sort of) the headlight, changed the oil, I am remounting the soft bags, remounted the license plate, cleaned it thoroughly, bought and installed an air cleaner, realized the front tire has a slow air leak, corrected the handlebar mounts, corrected the left bracket for the windshield (it was eating the clutch cable), and adjusted the windshield.
I want to check driveshaft for proper lubrication and check the forks proper adjustment.

Thanks for teh help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement