'86 Honda VT1100C fuel cut relay - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default '86 Honda VT1100C fuel cut relay

I'm new here so please forgive me if this has been covered before.
I bought an '86 1100 about 2 months ago and was planning on making it a winter project, ( it came home in 5 different boxes) but things went a little faster than I thought they would. Truth is I couldn't leave my hands off it! I have 50 miles on it already and it's working well.... except for the fuel cut relay. I've had to bypass it to get the bike to run. I talked to the local dealer and he said that it would probably be OK but that it would more than likely shorten the life of the fuel pump.
I was wondering if any one had any input on this. Will it be OK to run it like this? Does anybody know where I can find one? Or even find one that will adapt?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
shoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: '86 Honda VT1100C fuel cut relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoopy
I talked to the local dealer and he said that it would probably be OK but that it would more than likely shorten the life of the fuel pump.
I donít understand why it would shorten the life of the fuel pump as long as the power to the pump goes off when the key is turned off.

The relay is there to stop the fuel pump if the engine stops running. With the relay bypassed, engine off and the key on, it could pump fuel into the engine and fill the crankcase or pump fuel onto the ground.
Al
callmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I thought as well. I just make sure I don't sit there with the key on. I tried to bypass it with the power from the thumb switch but it doesn't seem to work. It only works when I use the power from the ignition switch. I haven't quite figured that one out yet.
I suppose I could always wire a rocker switch or something similar to power the fuel pump, the ignition switch just seemed to be more simple. I just have to remember to un-hook the fuel pump if I'm working on anything that I need the key on for.
shoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is there any place where I can buy this relay? Or is there any other relay that fits to this bike? If I remember correctly the text in the relay is CF-324 so is there same kind of relay in any other bike?

My dad has the same bike with broken relay and refuses to just bypass it. Is it the only way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litnin
That's one of the reasons that the relay is there... if the engine stalls,
the pump quits running.
The other reason for the relay is to keep the pump from running all the time.
Running it all the time taxes the eletrical system more and wears the pump out faster.
The relay has power going to it at all times on one side of the switch
and the pump is on the other side of the switch.
The coil on the relay that activates the switch is energized by the
ignition coils.
So, the pump actually pulses, rather than run full time and it will stop
running when the engine stalls because the coils are no longer firing.

When the engine is running, the coils are firing so fast, there really isn't
that much of a break between the start and stop of the pump.
Plus, the pump has a "stall" feature so that when the float bowl
gets full, as pressure builds up, there is a diaphram inside the pump
that will activate a kill switch to stall the pump.
Once the fuel is used from the bowl and the float opens, that pressure is
relieved and the pump will begin to pump again.

So, by passing your relay is going to bypass the "safety" feature,
as you said, but it won't hurt the pump at all.
The pump will still stall once pressure is reached.
Just make sure you have an appropriate sized jumper wire so it doesn't
over heat and all should be good.
Does this pump have this kill switch feature or does it return the gasoline back?

If it has the feature it doesn`t matter even if I forget the power on, because the pump stays stalled?
EOAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement