Bore Kits VT1100C - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bore Kits VT1100C

About to rebuild a 1993 VT1100C. New to some of the metric stuff and researching (ha at this point just searching) for bore kits for the 1099cc engines. Don't want to build one myself, too much math, and am looking for possible companies with the piston rings and cams. New to the Honda world and the aftermarket companies are not as prevalent. Any company ideas?
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I beleive you can get up to .040 pistons and rings from Honda, you will have to play with the jets but you will end up with one heck of a mid range, carb size will limit the top end somewhat because of the venturi size.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure "why" the re-build on your bike...most of these Shadows will go a very long time before any re-build is needed. These water-cooled engines are nearly bullet-proof.

You got any service manuals?? You'll need one.

As for pistons/rings: the manual states that there is only 2 sizes available for overbore...0.25mm and 0.50mm (from factory). As it is...they are getting hard to find from a dealer (not having it "on hand"). I have gotta other parts for my 95, 1100 Shadow at: www.ronayers.com but I haven't looked to see IF they carry the oversize piston kits. If one can't get pistons from the dealer/factory...I'd try J&E Piston for starters.

As for cams: other than "stock"...there ain't much out there. But one "could" have the lobes re-welded and then re-ground to what ever specs that you need. BUT, having a Hi-Po cam in these motors is a waste of money for the little gained.

Basically, this is NOT a HD type motor that is easily or cheaply improved.

Bullzeyet
bullzeyet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea I have access to both factory oversize pistons. And yes they do go an awful long time. There is over a hundred thousand on this. But I am the fourth owner and 60,000 of those miles belong to me over the past three and a half years. We were all military mechanics and the bike has seen some beatings. I have to do a top end rebuild and because of an exhaust expirement gone wrong. Now I am looking for a "not factory BIG bore kit." I'm gonna play with this one and see what works and doesn't. I will try the company you mentioned and see what they have. If I can't find anything then off to the math boards I go. If you know of anyone who has been expirementing I wouldn't mind talking to them. Just so noone worries I'm not looking for a cheap hop-up. I am seriously looking for a cost effective increase in cc's and match a new cam, carb and exhaust to that. I won't change stroke because it's a water cooled and I don't know yet what that compression change would cause in the walls. If I come up with a good set up I will market it here in our shop. That's my interest in changing these water cooled set ups. Any suggestions on people or sites I'd love to have.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

I can suggest: Designed Performance for help. www.designedperformance.com

A few years ago, using the early design like you/me have, they did a "serious" mod to this type engine. They could help more than us poor smucks who don't have the money/resources for anything more serious than pipes/carb adjustments.

You'll see that they have moved on to the "newer design" Honda VTX engines. But they could be a good source for possible piston/cam makers, valves or interchangable pistons for your project.

Hope this helps.

Bullzeyet
bullzeyet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you Bullzeye. I will try them out. If I can come up with a reliable, and cost effective kit I will get it out there. I appreciatte the info.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have mentioned this before but is there any chance to swap a 1300 cc motor/trans combo into the vt1100 frame? Is there a kit out there? Being in Colorado, I would really benefit from fuel injection smaller spacing between gears on those tight mountain roads. I'm in the same spot as bikercm in that I don't have a ton of money to throw at the bike and I know that the hydro valves restrict the shadow's ability to be altered as well. One of the few advantages HD has on Honda unfortunately. If you don't have to completely purchase a new block, can the heads or cam or any other part be swapped over to increase displacement and performance?

Who needs a radio when ya can listen to a v-twin on your way to work?
Deere4020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have an 07 1100 and have been looking for cams no luck except a weld and grind ? As for the kits yes they make two sizes the stock 1100s are 67 cubic inches the kits are an 88 ci and a 92 ci and come with the jugs , pistons and rings not sure about gaskets but hold on to your seat ! They were 936.00 bucks for my 07 so like I told the other guy on here may half to make do save a wile or hit the lotto for that upgrade lol good luck ! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1352599523.196925.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	8636Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1352599543.846682.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	8637

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
channey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.