vt1100 wiring diagram help needed - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default vt1100 wiring diagram help needed

I'm trying to swap out the ignition switch on my vt800 with one from an 1100. My research shows it should be plug and play, but I want to make sure. One of my concerns is that from '87 to '07 Honda has used at least 4 different swtiches on the 1100 - but I think they are all 6 wire, 2 circuit like my vt800.

So I would be super-ultra grateful if those of you with any type of vt1100 from '87 to '07 would check your wiring diagrams and see if your ignition switch wiring looks like this:

Then tell me what year and model your diagram was for.

Thanks in advance, this is really important to me!

1977 XS650 _________________ 1988 VT800
lang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Try this but it may be too small to read

supv26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

no that's great - is that for your '03 sabre? do you know what years it covers?

That's a 3 wire switch that I can't use - so now I know at least one of the vt1100 switches won't work for me (I'm guessing its # 35100-mck-aa00 - that's the one supposedly used on the 98-07 spirit, aero and sabre).

Keep 'em coming and thanks again!! I'm guessing my best bet will be from an 87-97

Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

a little more info (and a bump) according to the Haynes manual for the 85-98 vt1100's that you can download online, the 87-93 switch should work for me, but nothing newer.

This doesn't jibe with what the parts cross-reference says and I don't trust Haynes anyway. Based on that, I think I can go up to at least '97.

So, again, any help from vt1100 owners: if your ignition switch wiring and continuity table looks like the one I posted above, please let me know which model and year you have.

I'm especially interested in someone (with the official Honda service manual) who has an early 90's vt1100, someone with a late 90's shadow, and maybe someone with an 21st cent Spirit .

Thanks!

P.S., I know I could just ask for an 87-93 switch to be safe, but I want to maximize my chances when I go to the boneyard.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang
a little more info (and a bump) according to the Haynes manual for the 85-98 vt1100's that you can download online, the 87-93 switch should work for me, but nothing newer.

This doesn't jibe with what the parts cross-reference says and I don't trust Haynes anyway. Based on that, I think I can go up to at least '97.

So, again, any help from vt1100 owners: if your ignition switch wiring and continuity table looks like the one I posted above, please let me know which model and year you have.

I'm especially interested in someone (with the official Honda service manual) who has an early 90's vt1100, someone with a late 90's shadow, and maybe someone with an 21st cent Spirit .

Thanks!

P.S., I know I could just ask for an 87-93 switch to be safe, but I want to maximize my chances when I go to the boneyard.
lang

Someplace I have scanned diagrams for a Shadow that I did for Kyle (Kingham) - at least I think it was him - about 3 or so years back.

Gimme a few hours and I will have them posted for you. I gotta find them on one computer, move them to another, yada yada yada.

Or I can email you the files direct - your choice mate.

Collector

Ride Bells by Jack and Kara. Ass grabbed by Lisa, Leslie, Sue and Dee.
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

cool man - just post 'em that way if someone else needs 'em there here.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

lang

Found the scanned pix but they were different to the pix you posted. So I went out to the shed and fetched my manual inside. It's a Haynes manual (yeah, I know, complete bollocks, according to some, but let's not go there, yeah?).

Anyhow, mine shows one switch block for 1985-1986, then the one you have shown for 1987-1993, and although there are two further diagrams for 1994 and 1995, then 1996 and later, the block for those two is the same (but different to the earlier one, you dig?).

The one I had scanned was the earliest one for 1985-1986, so I haven't posted it.

Collector

Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I dig - so what you're saying is that, according to Haynes, I want an ignition switch from an 87-93, hey?

I still don't think that's totally accurate 'cause I'm pretty confident I can go into later years, but I guess I'll need info from the offical honda diagrams to prove it. Thanks for lookin' it up for me, though!

I can probably just go to the boneyard and see what they have as well - I'll recognize the 6 wire jobby from the 3 wire.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

lang

I have just compared the 94 onwards switch diagram in my manual with the one that supv26 posted for the Sabre - they are identical. If I understand your earlier reply correctly, it looks like the post 93 switch is not suitable.

However, please bear in mind that the most I know about electrics is not to stick your wet fingers in a live light socket whilst standing in a bucket of water with no shoes and socks on speaks volumes doesn't it?

Collector

PS - you could always twist the wires together like dear old Mr Lucas used to. I remember with the old 350cc Matchless I used to ride around with a box of matches and a cigarette lighter in my pocket. The wires would occasionally drop out of the block in the headlamp shell and the best temporary fix was to shove the wire back up the hole with a match holding it in. The lighter was to produce enough light to see WTF you were doing in the first place. But I digress. Apols.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang
no that's great - is that for your '03 sabre? do you know what years it covers?

That's a 3 wire switch that I can't use - so now I know at least one of the vt1100 switches won't work for me (I'm guessing its # 35100-mck-aa00 - that's the one supposedly used on the 98-07 spirit, aero and sabre).

Keep 'em coming and thanks again!! I'm guessing my best bet will be from an 87-97
I was assuming it was for an '03. I do not know what other years it is for.

supv26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.