Aftermarket Gas Cap with Fuel Gauge - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aftermarket Gas Cap with Fuel Gauge

Hi,

I just got a Shadow Aero 750 and managed to run out of gas. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket gas gaps with Fuel Gauges? I could only find them for Harley's. Thanks.

Renee'
bachermanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Aftermarket Gas Cap with Fuel Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachermanr
Hi,

I just got a Shadow Aero 750 and managed to run out of gas. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket gas gaps with Fuel Gauges? I could only find them for Harley's. Thanks.
I haven't seen one. You would have to take one of the Harley ones and modify it to your gas cap...or you could weld a Harley neck into your tank.

Out of curiosity...did you flip the bike to reserve when it ran out or where you running on reserve already? Reserve should get you 20-30 miles when you flip to it. If you are running on reserve, give yourself a good smack to the forehead while repeating DOH!!!!

Joe
Spirit_1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Use your trip odometer, when your getting to that must hit reserve miles, time to fill up. Remeber to reset the odo to zero after filling up.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did flip it to reserve but to no avail. I guess the dealer did not fill the reserve tank. I am now keeping a gas log and using the tripodometer too. thanks for your help.

Renee'
bachermanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

The reserve is part of the main tank. It is just the position of the petcock that determines if you are pulling from the "reserve" part of the tank.

AAHH...this is your first tank of gas through the bike? The dealer should have told you how far the bike can go on a tank of gas. Give it another tank (with the reserve turned off) and when the bike starts to sputter, flip to reserve and see if it still runs out of fuel. Again, you only have 20-30 miles until the tank is dry. If it still doesn't run right after you turn it to reserve, take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem with the petcock.

Joe
Spirit_1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_1100
The reserve is part of the main tank. It is just the position of the petcock that determines if you are pulling from the "reserve" part of the tank.

AAHH...this is your first tank of gas through the bike? The dealer should have told you how far the bike can go on a tank of gas. Give it another tank (with the reserve turned off) and when the bike starts to sputter, flip to reserve and see if it still runs out of fuel. Again, you only have 20-30 miles until the tank is dry. If it still doesn't run right after you turn it to reserve, take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem with the petcock.

Joe
The petcocks on the 06 & 07 (IIRC) are on a recall anyway...

Michael
midirat1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Default Re: Aftermarket Gas Cap with Fuel Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachermanr
Hi,

The best fuel guage is you trip odometer (as mentioned), reset it to zero when you fill it up then look for a refill around 100 miles and you should always be ok, also a good thing to practice is, while riding just reach down and flip the the petcock from on to reserve and see how things work, it is good to know/practice this move as you have mentioned sometimes it become"s necessary.

"John" 2002 Sabre
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider Chapter 84
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

hey,
My petcock is faulty in my 04 aero. Anyone I can complain to?
thanks
Daniel
rockaloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes it is a good idea to practice locating the petcock I must have looked nuts trying to find mine on the interstate.Once I pulled of and found it it took some cranking to get the thing to fire again. I also try to refuel at 100 miles.
postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's also a good idea to test your reserve valve every so often by just flipping to reserve as you tool down the road to be sure it is functioning and then flipping it back to main after 5 or so miles.

2005 Aero

1972 Honda XL250 Motorsport
2006 Rebel - daughter (Now gone)
1974 XL100
thunderglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement