How does removing the baffles affect MPG? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to grandesean
Default How does removing the baffles affect MPG?

I just bought an 08 Shadow 750 and I'm curious if 1. it's a good I idea to remove the baffles and if anyone has done it yet 2. does it improve or worsen MPG?
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I removed them on my 1100 and had no change in mpg.

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you remove them, do you have to adjust the carbs?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to grandesean

I'm not really sure. I've read that I may have to rejet, but am not sure if I need to. how would I find this out?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did not have to adjust my carbs.

I removed the rear baffle on both pipes from stock exhaust on a 2004 Honda Spirit 1100. No mpg gain and no adjustment to the carbs needed. The only change I noticed was a deeper sound.

If you drill out the back baffle like I did, you can jb weld it back in. Teh operation is reversible.

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default rear baffle

Hi Steve-o,I'm no wrench and i'ld like to know if the baffle and resonator are one and the same? also would removing them on a 98 ace tourer be as simple as it seemed on your spirit.
Thanx Jack
Jack Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm thinking about doing this also to my ace. But someone in another post said he did this and his bike stopped running. said it was running fine until he drilled out his exhaust.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the link to the baffle mod again.
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/h...pipes-t571.htm

Not sure what a resonator is. Again, this was done on a 2004 Honda Spirit 1100. Not sure what the pipes look like on the ace. But the process is completely reversible. All you have to do is JB Weld the baffle back in.

If you are considering buying pipes, I would definitley try this first. If it is not the sound you want or whatever, are not out anything.

Not sure how drilling out a baffle would prevent a bike from running.... I know that installing car tires, a windshield, or not wearing a helmet can lead to rust in your gas tank, but drilling out baffles are pretty safe.

Steve-O
Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

The resonator is the little glass pack looking fella that is first out of the pipes. The 'hole saw mod' removes the resonator. That's not really a baffle, since it's not baffling anything.

Now ... what's in front of that is a baffle. The inlet pipe comes into the baffled chamber. The gases have to travel from the rear of the chamber (about 1/4 the way down the muffler overall), back up to the front to reach the opening of the outlet pipe (back at the front of the muffler) and exits the baffled chamber, just behind the plate that baffles the inlet pipe. It then goes through a perferated piece of plate (about 1/2 down the muffler overall), and into theresonator (about 2/3 the way down the muffler) out of the tail of the pipe (what you see sticking out of the center).

Removing the resonator will not affect your mileage much, if any, and shouldn't require changing the jets. Drilling out the baffle will reuire a jet change, and probably make the bike loose a little power due to the lean condition before jetting it. I will say though, it sounds MUCH better with the baffles drilled out and the resonators removed.

This was on my 750 Spirit.

Hope that helped.
-Flyer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

So, this is a resonator?

Think I'll start calling this the muffler mod..... Guess I removed the rear resonator and left the baffles intact.

You said you removed the resonators and baffles, how did you get your baffles out? Just punch them out?

Methinks if you remove the baffles, it's a one way trip. No JB Welding them back in.

Steve-O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement