883 Sportster carb question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 883 Sportster carb question

A friend of mine has a 2005 Sportster 883 he's having some trouble with. Occasionally, it will leak from the overflow tube coming from the float bowl on the carb. Remove the float bowl and there will be little specs of dirt and debris in the bottom. Clean it with carb cleaner and everything is fine, for a while.

Wondering if the debris is coming from bad gasoline or if is it something the bike is taking in through the air filter. There is no filter on the fuel line. Would it be a good idea to install a fuel filter, and how hard is it to do that?

What are some ways to find out where this trash is coming from?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Maverick,

I would say it is coming from his gas tank. The best thing to do is to drain/clean the tank. Once you have it drained, put fresh gas in it and drain. You don't have to put much gas in there...just enough to slosh around. While you have the tank off, remove the petcock and check the screen on it to make sure there isn't grit stuck in it.

I am not sure on the Sportster, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have a fuel pump. This could cause a problem when installing a filter just because you will want to make it accessible. To install the filter, just find a small one (like for a lawn mower or import car (he will REALLY love that one)), cut the fuel line, install the filter into the carb side, measure the hose from the tank and cut off excess from it. I would wait to cut the tank side until you get the filter in place. You will want to try to keep the same slope if possible. That way, hopefully, you don't affect the fuel delivery.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Spirit_1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Sportster (as far as I know) is a gravity feed system. Like Spirit said, a simple in-line filter from a lawnmower or tractor shot will fit the bill nicely.

I doubt the crud is getting in through the air filter, since the air coming through the filter has very little contact with the fuel in the bowl.

A tip when adding an in-line filter: Be sure the fuel path is always going down hill. Sometimes adding an in-line filter puts a vertical "S" bend in the fuel hose. This can sometimes cause an air pressure lock to happen, and the fuel will not flow. Position the hoses (Use extra hose if needed) so that there is a steady downward motion to the fuel flow. This will save your aggravation later on.

Good luck!

For what it's worth, I'd like to see someone post a question about a Shadow on a Harley forum and see what happens!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys, I'll pass it on to him - good suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_1100
To install the filter, just find a small one (like for a lawn mower or import car (he will REALLY love that one))
LOL! Good thing about my friend with the Sportster is he has no brand loyalty - just loves motorcycles. Give him a Road King or a Gixxer and he'll ride either all day long. In fact, lately I think he'd rather take the Gixxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes_rock
For what it's worth, I'd like to see someone post a question about a Shadow on a Harley forum and see what happens!

--Justin
Hell, sometimes you can't post a question about a Harley on a Harley forum, if it isn't the right Harley.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bike shops have short in length but big in Dia. fuel filters that dirt bikes use and there cheap, I had a old bemmer air head that I used them on.
Advertisement