Netural light comes on when clutch is engaged?? 1996 1100 AC - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Netural light comes on when clutch is engaged?? 1996 1100 AC

1996 1100 ACE Had a problem where bike engine would not turn over. Found the problem to be in the start button switch. However before that my repair manual lead me to check the start relay.....here's where the problem originated I think. I separated the plug from the relay and carelessly turned the plug around and tried to plug back in.....blew the 30 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and everything works fine except the neutral light comes on every time the clutch is engaged no matter what gear I am in. Does not affect the way the bikes runs, just kind of strange that every time I change gears the neutral lights flashes as I use the clutch...also when shifting to neutral I have to "feel" for neutral because as long as the clutch is engaged the neutral light is on. Unfortunately my repair manual is lacking in the wiring department...any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is interesting, you shouldn't have been able to get a elc. contact by reversing the plug, the way there designed it would seem impossible to do that and then to blow the 30amp main,,,,that just don't seem right, it takes a direct short to blow that one and there would have been some major sparking going on.
The natural light is just a simple switch that is triggered by the tranny to close when in netural so what your saying is that it's going on in the open position if I'm understanding you right which is impossible, it's conceivable that if you reversed the neutral light wires that it would work as designed and that isn't right, you've got a wiring problem some place else.
You need to go thru what you did and check everything looking for wires that may be worn thru, something that got disturbed when you were doing what ever you did,,,Boy,,,good luck on this one, let us know what you find out OK?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Netural light

Let me clarify that I the moment I put the plug in backwards I did get a spark and it blew the fuse immediately, in fact I never got the plug down on the connectors, as soon as it made contact the fuse blew. But once I replaced the fuse and put the plug in correctly the bike works fine, as I said the only difference now with the bike verses before is the neutral light comes on every time the clutch is engaged
Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, just to clarify.

When you pull the clutch lever in, you are DIS-engaging the clutch.

When the clutch lever is out (normal resting position) the clutch is ENGAGED.

Which is actually happening, the light on with the lever out or the lever back?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Neutral light

You're correct, DIS-engaging is what I should have been saying, ie. light comes on when i squeeze the clutch handle towards the handlebars to shift. Light goes out when I release the clutch handle. I'm thinking maybe the clutch diode?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Neutral light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnative
You're correct, DIS-engaging is what I should have been saying, ie. light comes on when i squeeze the clutch handle towards the handlebars to shift. Light goes out when I release the clutch handle. I'm thinking maybe the clutch diode?
Yep, that's exactly what it sounds like.

Just looked at the schematic and it appears that it would do exactly
that if the diode allowed current in both directions.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Neutral light

Thanks, i will post what I find here.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Neutral switch light

Yep, it was the 2 prong clutch diode. Honda dealer wanted $16.00 for one. I had some barrel shaped diodes with a lead on each end, i just shortened the leads and bent them to fit into the sockets the prongs of the old diode fit and it works fine.....basically $0.00 cost to repair.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: Neutral switch light

[I tried PMing this, but it keeps sending the messsage to me instead of ncnative]

Hi there - in the post above, you said that instead of spending a lot on an official replacement diode, you wired in a regular barrel-shaped diode.

The clutch diode on my 1983 VT500C is toast, and I'd much prefer to do what you did than spend $20 on a tiny component. Could you please tell me how I can work out what kind of diode to get instead from a components store?

Thanks!

[btw. mine is a technically a S3H-02 silicone rectifier, if that means anything, part # 31700-124-003 (replaces 31700-124-00; I couldn't find a schematic for your 1996 1100 ACE, but there was one for the VT1100, and that bike uses the same part - so it's likely that I could use the same kind of makeshift diode that you did].
SpiceRack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Any 1N4001, 1N4004 will work fine.
Radio Shack has em or you can order at mouser.com for pennies each...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.