1984 vt700 electrical question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1984 vt700 electrical question

Switch was turned to ON while a battery charger was hooked up backwards. Dumb mistake. I'm just wondering what if anything was fried.
This bike was not running order to start with so troubleshooting is a pain.

The plugs are getting spark. Fuel pump is not pumping. It wont attempt to fire even with starter fluid. Any suggestions?
dustbucket.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the group, and the wonderful world of antique bikes!

If you're using starter fluid (which is really hard on a motorcycle engine) and you know you have spark, then you should have fire in the hole.

The only thing that would get screwed up by reverse polarity (at low amperage, like a battery charger) would be the ignition module. If you have spark, then it's probably okay.

The fuel pump only runs when the engine is running, so that might be okay too.

It's hard to know what may be damaged if you don't know what was working before this happened.

Let us know what you find out!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you flick the killswitch off and on the fuel pump should do one cycle every time. I've done this many times to get gas up to the carbs after a filter change, etc., keep flicking til it stops, then you have pressure. If it doesn't click you have connection problems, or need a new pump.

On the battery side look at the big red wire (not the battery cable) and it's connections. I had one melt and the fuel pump wouldn't work, but the engine would run when I hot wired the pump (before I saw the bad wire).

I have several 85's, and I keep a set of hot wires with each (#12 red and black with gatorclips on one end).

Good luck!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

ok, I had removed my fuel pump to make sure it was ok ( i just picked up an 84 vt 700) the pump didn't seems to be working while on the bike, I took it off and plug it directly to the battery, fuel pump running great , put it back on the bike , power was getting to it but it wasn't working. I tried flipping the kill switch several time without success, then I finally wire the pump directly to the battery (was hold the ground wire in my hand until I was ready) and then try to start the bike and grounded the wire on the frame at the same time, the fuel pump started , the bike started. then I reconnect the pump properly and it runs good. it seems that this fuel pump (at least mine) if it get emptied it doesn't prime by itself .
Old 05-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got it to grumble at me last night! Thats a start...

I rigged up a gas line into a plastic tank and did the switch flipping thing to get gas up to the carbs. The fuel pump is clicking and sucking gas up the line but I think the carbs are just too gunked up for the bike to run. It backfired a couple of times and eventually started for about 5 seconds.
So that gives me hope!
The run switch seems to be a little squirrly so for now I'm going to rig up another switch for testing and clean the carbs out.
dustbucket.va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

that's good news !!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

that's good news !!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have an 84 VT700C, I call her a temper-mental bitch more or less because she has earned the name (for a couple of reasons), one being that she doesn't like to start if the battery doesn't have enough of a charge in it. The starter will spin but the coils won't fire, meanwhile the exhaust pipes are filling up with gas and then one of the coils did fire, it was so loud that I thought someone had fired a gun at me, she back fired a couple more times and then the battery went dead. Swapped batteries and she fired right up and ran fine, so long-story-short put her on the charger over night and see how she does in the morning.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement