87 VT700 Shadow - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

87 VT700 Shadow

New to the forum. I bought this 87 shadow that did not run real good between 3000 and 5000 rpm. I was convinced that the carbs needed cleanig since it only had 10000 miles on it. So I took the carbs apart and cleaned them and the problem is still there. It will scream if I stay on it all the way to red line, but I can not put it in overdrive at 60 mph because it acts like it has run out of gas. I have to keep the rpm's up and still sputters a little then (above 5000rpm). The fuel pump seems to be working. Any help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Welcome to the group!

I have the 1986 model of your bike, which is pretty much the same. It sounds to me like your carb slides aren't sliding enough. When you had them apart, were the diaphragms in good shape? No pinholes or anything?

Mine had a bit of hesitation around the range you're talking about, but nowhere near as severe. I put two #6 brass flat washers under each jet needle, and that got rid of it.

But for what you're experiencing, I think you have an altogether different problem. I'd be making sure those slides slide freely, and return freely.

Also, run it for 20 seconds at the point where it's hesitating, pull in the clutch, kill the engine, coast to the side of the road. After the engine cools for 20 minutes or so (important so you don't strip the heads!) pull a spark plug from each cylinder. Then you'll know if you're too lean or too rich.

Also, how's your fuel filter look?

--Justin

Currently Running Stable:
2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Fuel filter is fine. Carb looked great when I took it apart. Fuel pump pressure is about 3 lbs. Pump is pumping plenty of fuel. Cleaned and blew out everything in the carb. This has me stumped.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 PM

If you measured the fuel pressure, then I'm going to assume that you're quite savvy mechanically, so forgive me for asking the following dumb question: when you're accelerating, is it running on both cylinders?

--Justin

2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Good question. I thought of that but the bike will scream if I stay on it all the way to 8000 rpm and never misses a beat. It only dies down between 3000 and 5000 rpm and trying to stay at a steady speed.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 PM

3,000 - 5,000 RPM, at a steady speed, on level ground is probably about 1/4 throttle. That's pilot jet territory. Makes me wonder if the pilot jets are clogged (or maybe just one cylinder's pilot jet!). Those are the #41 or #42 jets that are in there. In my carbs, those took a whole to come clean. I thought they were clean, but under magnification, I could see that the orifice was half-moon shaped, so I cleaned them again, and they ended up round, like they should be.

I know what a bear those carbs are to get off, so maybe some Seafoam could save you the trouble of looking? (Then again, maybe not!)

This one has me wondering...!

--Justin

2010 Honda NT700V
1986 Shadow 700
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Seafoam was put in first thinking that might do the job. The jets were perfect. I am going to the Honda dealer in the next couple days and see what they think. I will keep you posted.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM
EdK

BUMP -

Did this ever get solved? I'm having same issue
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK View Post
BUMP -

Did this ever get solved? I'm having same issue
Read through this and see if it answers some questions.
CV Carb Tuning Procedures

If you still have problems start a new thread and give as much information as you can.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

2001 Valkyrie I/S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 PM

The OP hasn't been on here since this post in 2008.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page