84 shadow 500, how much oil usage is normal?? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 84 shadow 500, how much oil usage is normal??

just wondering, I have had the bike for a few months on the road now (about 2000 miles) and running great
I had the oil and filter changed when I first started riding it this season
back then I put about 3 quarts of oil in it (castral 4stroke 10w40) and that seem to be on the right level according to the dipstick
I just now checked the lever for the first time again (dipstick threaded out resting on top of the treats and no oil was to be found I had to add about 1.5 quarts to get it back up to level (is this Normal)
the bike ran great all 2000 miles and still is and has not a single leak anywhere and it also does not smoke at all when reving the engine
is the 50 % oil usage normal is such a short time
milage on the bike is under 10000 so I would think there is not much wear there at all
let me know if this is something Ishould be concerend about
thanks in advance for your time
honda vt750 1983
honda future projects cb400 hawk(7 and cb650c 79
5 kreidlers rmc 50 and rs 50
kreidlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

With no leaks and not burning oil that can be seen I suspect it wasn't up to snuff to start with, run it and keep an eye on it and see what it does.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nope thats far from normal if u havent got a major (and obvious) leak that bike should look like a mosquito coil on wheels going down the road. Significant smoke. I am betting that u made a boo boo somewhere. Make sure you are on level ground. Not sure about yours but a vt1100 is checked with bike upright not on sidestand.
88 VT1100, 08 HARLEY FAT BOB (traitor) 87 700 intruder, 85 700 MAXIM, I ride the Harley mostly but "still" prefer to hang with metric riders because they're not stuck up. OOps, keep forgetting, AINT stuck up
bananabenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

yes I checked it on the centre stand and unscrew the dipstick and then resting on top of the treads,
i know starting to think I did not put enough in at oil/filter change
but i'm not sure now (because normally I always check the level after a oilchange )
like I said it runs like a top and also it is not making any weird noises/ ticking etc
when I got the bike it had been sitting for a few years (possible up to 10 years or so !)
i'm not sure what is going on but if the oil rings on the piston were seized it would certainly show as smoke on the exhaust would it not ?
and also the muffleres are as dry as can be, if it was burning that amount of oil would they not be all greasy/ gummy ?
anyways I'm obviosly going to keep riding and hope for the best and keep a close eye on the oil level
honda vt750 1983
Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lets hope that you didn't get a good fill at the oil change!

But 3.5 qt. sounds about correct for a fill.

As mentioned, find a flat, solid spot to put the bike on it's center stand.
Get the oil level correct and then check it every 500 miles at the same location, using the same technique (warm up & check after 5 min, for example).

Checking on the center stand with the dip stick NOT screwed in is correct.

I usualy check mine cold (before starting) and expect to see oil higher than the "max" mark on the dip stick.

Good luck and safe riding.
1983 Shadow 500 - - Sold
2006 Ninja 500- - - - Sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Oil consumption

Have you checked the coolant for any contamination of oil? Also on oil & filter change, start it and run a little to soak/fill up oil filter cavity...then check oil level after a few minutes of draindown. Having someone sitting on the bike balancing it "straight up" while checking the dipstick. A few degrees lean to the left could show as "low oil" on the dipstick. Hope this helps. Also we hope you repost once you solve this one.

Charlie S - War Eagle!
06 VT 750 Shadow Spirit
94 VT 600C VLX (Donated to Sis-in-Law 4-23-10)
Concerned about gun control...use Both hands.
86 Suzuki Intruder 700
Landlrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

just an update,

I checked coolant and it looks completely normal,
as for usage I have only gone about 100 miles since adding the 1.5 quart
and it still at the right level (seems like I check oil now every other minute LOL )
I 'm debating going on a bigger trip by the end of the month (1000miles or so ) but i'm not so sure right now, I will be doing some smaller trips right now and see if the oil level stays ok and decide closer to the date

thanks again to all that applied and I will keep you posted
honda vt750 1983
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi;
I have an 84 500 Shadow and it also uses oil. There are no leaks and it does not burn it. I switched to Shell Rotella T 15W40 and its a little better but it still uses oil. I check the level at every fuel fill up and will usually add some every second or third time. I like to keep it at the full mark. From what I have read these engines do consume oil but the sparkplugs look perfect with no oil fouling signs. I'm wondering if the transmission is responsible for the consumption? You are correct with 3 liters of oil when changing the oil and filter.
e.p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement