1986 VT 700 where do all my carburetor hoses attach to??? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1986 VT 700 where do all my carburetor hoses attach to???

Ok, I did a stupid thing. I'm having problems with (what I think are) my carbs. My 86 Honda Shadow VT 700 would start and idle perfectly with the choke on. Give it gas or move choke lever to off and the bike would stall. What was weird was when this problem started, I felt a little crunch when I twisted the throttle. Throttle and cables are fine though. SO... I took the carbs off, took them apart, cleaned them up and put them back. Stupidly, I didn't pay attention to where all the hoses came from, as I just took them all off to get the carbs off. Everything's back together but I cannot find a good diagram that shows where to put the hoses. Please help!!!!
midnite171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh dude, this is not a good place to be, hint-hint, one hose on wrong it either won't start or stalls when you try to accelerate, check the back of both side covers one of them may have a vacuum diagram.

Aside from that all my book says it is clearly mark all the hoses before you remove them (yeah I know...).

Best suggestions I have is to check the ends of the vacuum hoses, the ones with clean insides or are slightly bulged out were pushed onto something, hoses with cracked dirty ends and oxidized insides were hanging in free air. There are probably at least two different sized hoses, check the lengths and sizes and see what will reach and fit onto other things around it. Vacuum hoses with armor spiral around them were either being protected by heat or excessive vibration and/or both. Hoses with ribbed insides were pushed onto some kind of connector.

If I have time I will check with the Honda dealer after work tomorrow and see if they have a diagram, I need to stop by there anyway.

Good luck.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Landon said everything that I was going to say, but remember that this is one hose between the two carbs that doesn't connect to anything. it just hangs there because it's an atmospheric vent. That will confuse the heck out of someone who's trying to figure out what it connects to!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Picture???

Could somebody send me a picture of where the tubes should connect? I have one with a "T" piece. That is one that's giving me problems
midnite171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default where do the hoses go

i also have a 1986 shadow vt700 with a hose problem,i have a official honda repair book but the picture of hose location is bad.all gas hoses are ok,the main hose going to the aircut off valve is the problem.the book shows a hose wraping all around the carbs and to the t on the back carb,but if i connect it will stall the engine,i know the air cutoff valve is ok so i leave the hose off the t and bike runs ok.what is the vent hose that hangs loose? i bought the bike as a rebuild and carbs were off. whiz630
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, went to the Honda Dealer all they had for the 86 VT700C was the vacuum diagram for the California model, hope this helps figured it would be better than nothing: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/pix/86_VT700C.jpg this file is almost 1meg in size so if you have dial-up it might take a while to load, but either way it should be clearly readable when you open it.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default where do the carb hoses go on the 86 vt700

ok i am down to one hose,if the T between the carbs is only a vent hose where does the other end of the inlet air hose to the air cut off valve go?i do not see any other loose fittings. i thought it went to the T and when i tried to connect the hose it stalled the engine. whiz630
Advertisement