washed bike...now won't start...won't do anything! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default washed bike...now won't start...won't do anything!

Need a little help here....washed the bike (as i have before) and dried it with a leaf blower. let it set for a few hours and then I get on it to ride...and the lights come on, but when I hit the start button, the lights go off and the engine does nothing...not even a click. A couple of seconds after I release the start button, my lights come back on, but no starter movement. The starter DID engage for literally a 1/2 second a couple of times, but not every time.
Any ideas? Thanks

1996 ACE

jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh yeah...all fuses are fine...and I cracked open the electronics casings on the handlebars (kill swich and turn signals) and blew them out with leaf blower also.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would guess some water may have gotten somewhere that is possibly shorting out the starter circuit when you press the starter button. Maybe some moisture around the starter relay? It could be once it dries out you may be okay.

Other option could be the starter switch. They are a weakness on the Shadows. There are some older posts on them. It may help to lightly sand the contacts to be sure you are getting a good contact.

2003 Spirit 1100, 2006 Suzuki GS500F, 1996 Kawasaki KLR 250, 1974 Yamaha DT250
ShadowDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Drakor

Could the battery be dead?
Drakor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

A leaf blower could be potentially hazardous to the small wires and things in a bike. A lot of leaf blower can produce 200 MPH air blasts. That's the equivalent of a tiny isolated Category 5 hurricane localized to your bike. I wouldn't surprised if a wire of connector got dislodged in there somewhere.

Put a multimeter on the battery and check to see what you have for voltage. Now press the start button and check the voltage if it drops to less than about 9 or 10 volts then your battery is toast and either needs charging or is damaged. If the voltage stays constant, then you have a loose wire and will have to start digging.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

well....i narrowed it down to the start button and kill switch. Everything on the left handlebar works fine, i.e. turn signals, horn...etc, and when I play around with the kill switch my headlight is going on and off. When I push the start button, it will also kill the headlight until I wiggle the kill switch and then hit the start button again. I'm gonna replace the kill switch and the start button. Thanks guys...
Oh yeah....battery is fine.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan
well....i narrowed it down to the start button and kill switch. Everything on the left handlebar works fine, i.e. turn signals, horn...etc, and when I play around with the kill switch my headlight is going on and off. When I push the start button, it will also kill the headlight until I wiggle the kill switch and then hit the start button again. I'm gonna replace the kill switch and the start button. Thanks guys...
Oh yeah....battery is fine.
jbfan,
Just outa' curiosity, I notice you have a lightbar........ Do you have the load from the lightbar wired directly to the battery with a relay, triggered by the headlight?

If you're not using a relay on your lightbar; that's what might be causing your switch failure. On Honda's the starter button momentarily de-energizes the headlight to provide more power to the starter. Unfortunatly, the contacts inside the starter button can't handle the extra load from the lightbar if it's wired directly to the headlight without a relay and WILL fail!

Like I said....no relay, that could be your problem.
Phil

1973 Yamaha RD-350

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Found the problem. It is the start switch. I'm an electrictian, so I got brave and snipped a few wires. I bypassed the kill switch and jumped out the start leads with a pair of needlenose pliers...bike started with no hesitation. Note to self: make sure the throttle cables are not engaged when starting the bike
It started, but it was pulled to about 3/4 throttle, so it screamed for a second and I quickly shut it off with the key. Newbie mistake
Question. Can the switch be purchased without the entire assembly?
I looked online at OEM parts and they all come pre-assembled with the start and kill switch already mounted, but you have to pull the tank and re-run the connector to the supply. I'm trying to get out of doing that.
Thanks for all the info!

Phil: The lightbar is wired into the highbeam only. Spliced in on the back of the headlight plug. (found that out tonight, too)

Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Many have been able to fix their switches by giving them a good cleaning in side and use electric contact paste inside. Might work for you as wel.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

then yes the ligt bar is wired to the starter switch, u need to run a relay to the to the battery to run the light bar and then u triggar the relay with a wire from the headlight that way the load is on the relay and battery and not the starter switch.

present bike
07 harley davidson road king
previous bikes
04 shadow aero
84 650 nighthawk
oliver99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.