Honda Shadow Forums banner

changing grips

903 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  landon 
#1 ·
i purchased a new pair of handle bars for my 1986 shadow 700,so how do i get the old chrome & rubber grips off in good shape? i do not believe there is glue under the grips, the person that installed them said he sprayed break fluid in the grip & it slipped right on & when the fluid dried they were tight. when i get the grips on i will take a picture and put it on the net,i have made many changes, dual head lights,ram air cleaner, digital watch holder and others. whiz630

#3 ·
I pried the chrome end cap out of the end of the grip (it wasn't hard to do) and then stuck a small flat bladed screw driver into the hole and pried the rubber away from the glue, the glue in my 84 VT700C was so old that it turned to powder and then the grip slid right off.

Break fluid doesn't ever really dry, I would do something else like heat the grips up in a pan of hot water they should slide right on, whether or not they stay on once cooled off is another thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.