Honda Shadow Forums banner

What's best 'silicone' for engine case gaskets?

12K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  hlaltimus 
#1 ·
Have a slight leak developing on the top side of the left-hand engine cover, and it's a-runnin' oil all down my nice shiny chrome! According to Clymer manual, doesn't have a gasket in there. We're to use a sealant. Which works best? Blue RTV? Also, anything else I might need to change out while I've got the cover off? Inputs, please. Thanx in advance.

#2 ·
GE Hi-temp Silicone. It's red in color and has RTV 106 on the tube. This or any high temperature silicone will do the trick. There are several other brands out there like Form-A-Gasket that are probably as good, but the GE brand is more readily available to me.

#3 ·
There's a special Hi Temp silicon that's sold at just about any auto parts store for engine assy, use it sparingly, you don't want pieces of i in the engine, it might cause problems.
You don't say what engine you have, if it's a 1100 there's the guide plug that could use attention, it's the rubber plug on the left that a foot on the side case presses on when assembled, pull it out and put some sealent on it.

#4 ·
fbnewell said:
Have a slight leak developing on the top side of the left-hand engine cover, and it's a-runnin' oil all down my nice shiny chrome! According to Clymer manual, doesn't have a gasket in there. We're to use a sealant. Which works best? Blue RTV? Also, anything else I might need to change out while I've got the cover off? Inputs, please. Thanx in advance.
Which engine case? The clutch covers (the big one and the small on) both of them do have gaskets on the 97 VT1100C. And on those you DO not use ANY gasket sealer! the manual states to use it on one SPOT! and below I am pointing to that area.

MarkC

#6 ·
Permatex The Right Stuff black rtv. My brother, an automotive mechanic of 15 (? 20?) years says its the only stuff he trusts. He even bought a tube for me when I was doing a complete engine rebuild so that I wouldn't try to get by with something else. (I completely trust his opinion. Apparently he doesn't trust that I trust him.)

- Jon

#7 ·
When I did my upper cylinder work on the 1100, the Honda shop manual specified the use of Hondabond oil resistant silicone sealant for reassembly of the head covers. No gasket at all...just Hondabond. Then, I discovered from several other other web sites that Permatex Ultra Grey is essentially the same stuff and that lots of riders have had no problems with it. My package of Ultra Grey in front of me says right on the back that it is the OEM equivalent for 3 listed Honda sealants, one of which I happen to know is in fact Hondabond. Ultra Grey is known for it's "outstanding oil resistance" and, (sure enough,) I have never seen any oil leak out from either the head covers or the right hand clutch cover or the left hand case cover that conceals the stator coil. It's worked great for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.