What's best 'silicone' for engine case gaskets? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's best 'silicone' for engine case gaskets?

Have a slight leak developing on the top side of the left-hand engine cover, and it's a-runnin' oil all down my nice shiny chrome! According to Clymer manual, doesn't have a gasket in there. We're to use a sealant. Which works best? Blue RTV? Also, anything else I might need to change out while I've got the cover off? Inputs, please. Thanx in advance.

' - - '97 VT1100C1 Spirit - -
fbnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

GE Hi-temp Silicone. It's red in color and has RTV 106 on the tube. This or any high temperature silicone will do the trick. There are several other brands out there like Form-A-Gasket that are probably as good, but the GE brand is more readily available to me.

1995 VT1100C
navillustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

There's a special Hi Temp silicon that's sold at just about any auto parts store for engine assy, use it sparingly, you don't want pieces of i in the engine, it might cause problems.
You don't say what engine you have, if it's a 1100 there's the guide plug that could use attention, it's the rubber plug on the left that a foot on the side case presses on when assembled, pull it out and put some sealent on it.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: What's best 'silicone' for engine case gaskets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbnewell
Have a slight leak developing on the top side of the left-hand engine cover, and it's a-runnin' oil all down my nice shiny chrome! According to Clymer manual, doesn't have a gasket in there. We're to use a sealant. Which works best? Blue RTV? Also, anything else I might need to change out while I've got the cover off? Inputs, please. Thanx in advance.
Which engine case? The clutch covers (the big one and the small on) both of them do have gaskets on the 97 VT1100C. And on those you DO not use ANY gasket sealer! the manual states to use it on one SPOT! and below I am pointing to that area.

MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Umm, I think that is the right side Mark. Not sure, but I know my clutch is on the right. Grey permatex silicone is my choice. Seems to hold up to oil the best.

Genius is 1 percent inspiration
and 99 percent perspiration.
Thomas Edison
2003 750 Spirit
liv4fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Permatex The Right Stuff black rtv. My brother, an automotive mechanic of 15 (? 20?) years says its the only stuff he trusts. He even bought a tube for me when I was doing a complete engine rebuild so that I wouldn't try to get by with something else. (I completely trust his opinion. Apparently he doesn't trust that I trust him.)

- Jon
jonkun227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I did my upper cylinder work on the 1100, the Honda shop manual specified the use of Hondabond oil resistant silicone sealant for reassembly of the head covers. No gasket at all...just Hondabond. Then, I discovered from several other other web sites that Permatex Ultra Grey is essentially the same stuff and that lots of riders have had no problems with it. My package of Ultra Grey in front of me says right on the back that it is the OEM equivalent for 3 listed Honda sealants, one of which I happen to know is in fact Hondabond. Ultra Grey is known for it's "outstanding oil resistance" and, (sure enough,) I have never seen any oil leak out from either the head covers or the right hand clutch cover or the left hand case cover that conceals the stator coil. It's worked great for me.

H. L. Altimus
2003 VT1100C2 Sabre
hlaltimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement