Removing the Fuel Tank? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing the Fuel Tank?

I want to remove my tank to run a wiring harness for my light bar. I don't have a repair manual. It looks as easy as; remove front and rear bolts, shut off fuel, run engine to burn fuel in carb down a little, disconnect fuel hose at shut-off valve. What am I missing? What's the suprise? Thanks people.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

You don't mention what bike you have, but I would assume an 1100 from the two bolts you describe, front, and rear. You basically have it! I would run the carbs out of fuel first, by just running it with the petcock off, THEN loosen the bolts, and remove the fuel line from the bottom of the already-closed petcock. Make sure you place a rag on top of your tank, draped over the front, so you don't scratch the paint! AND...make sure you have a place to set it down that is soft. Fuel is about 6 lbs per gallon, so it could be kinda heavy, while looking for a spot to set it down.... (Not that I have ever done that!!!)-----Metalguy

2010 Crossroads.
metalguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

The only think I see your missing is the vent line from the tank. The hose will be at the very back of the tank. The tube is not very long but holds surprisingly well. That could be quite surprising when lifting the tank off and have it yanked out of your hands by this tube.

Joe
Spirit_1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I have a '95 vt1100c2 a.c.e. The vent tube. Is it connected to the frame? Do I lift the tank off and then loosen it, or can it be unfastened before lifting the tank off? (I was wondering if I should run the carbs dry to prevent the fuel from coming back up the tube.)
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

vent tube is secured to the frame somewhere down along the way. It's not held on by anything but friction to the gas tank. Just tug it a bit to get it off.

It's really as simple as it looks. If you got the seats off, you won't have a problem with the gas tank. Go for it.

Watch for pinch points when running your wires back through. There should be an bundle on the left side you can cable tie your wires too, as well as a couple of places to thread the wires through.

Good luck!

2009 Stratoliner (mine), 2008 Stratoliner (hers), 2010 Harley Rocker, 2002 Honda VLX
Steve-O
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your input. Now if the garage would just warm up a little bit...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I pulled the tank last summer to change antifreeze I never drained the carbs or anything like that. I just pulled the tank! No problems, she runs just fine. Anything I should be aware of when I do this again, as in what can happen if I don't drain the carbs first?
Shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Nothing is going to happen. It might spare you a few drops of fuel when disconnecting the hose. I never drain them (it) either.

Gonz

When does it end? It doesn't....it's a Vicious Cycle!!
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

On mine the petcock does not always shut completely off. Watch for that or you could end up leaking gasoline. I know, I should replace it. Cheap ******* that I am.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbyreed
On mine the petcock does not always shut completely off. Watch for that or you could end up leaking gasoline. I know, I should replace it. Cheap ******* that I am.
+1 Mine too, but I replaced it with a new one, and it leaks just the same, a few drips an hour, I just store it with the petcock outside, and covered/protected carefully.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.