Oil leak on the left side - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil leak on the left side

Howdy y'all.

I posted a while ago about how I thought my starter gear cover on the left side was leaking due to some minor stripped threads. Well I took the advise of one of the great people on this forum, and put a papermatch (minus the ignition part) in eash of the offending holes and boy did it torgue tight. Very nice idea!!!!

Now the problem is .... I still have a leak. Today I started the bike, and ran it for a while and watched the leftside while it ran. I noticed that I have what appears to be oil leaking drop by drop out of the airhole on the clutch slave cylinder. I combed my manuals, and couldn't find that mentioned anywhere, so I'm asking the great minds here.

Is it possible for me to leak oilout of that airhole? I did take the slave cylinder off the left side 4 months ago when I replaced the shift peg oil seal (Note ... I did not disassemble the slave cylinder when I removed it, I kept it completely intact.

What could be the problem? Do I just need to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder? Are there any other things I can test for to really see what is leaking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oil from the slave cylinder,,,or fluid ?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

There are two possible ideas of where that leak is coming from. One may be the guide plug on the bottom left side of the engine. It's a fairly easy fix. All that's needed is a new O-ring (found at the hardware store) and some sealant to stop the leak. Many of us had the leak, so it's a common problem.
The other possibility is the seal on the clutch rod shaft. They are known to wear out and it's not a hard fix. Just be careful not to over tighten the slave cylinder bolts when you get it back together.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterD
There are two possible ideas of where that leak is coming from. One may be the guide plug on the bottom left side of the engine. It's a fairly easy fix. All that's needed is a new O-ring (found at the hardware store) and some sealant to stop the leak. Many of us had the leak, so it's a common problem.
The other possibility is the seal on the clutch rod shaft. They are known to wear out and it's not a hard fix. Just be careful not to over tighten the slave cylinder bolts when you get it back together.
Thanks for the input. Where exactly is the guide-plug? I don't think I've heard of that before.

This memory of mine is something else. When I woke up this morning, I realized that a few months back, when I replaced the shift peg seal, it wasn't cuz it was leaking. I removed the whole left side of the engine so I could replace the clutch rod seal. So now I'm really wondering if I fixed it. Seems like I didn't fix it if I got oil coming out the air hole.

Is it safe to remove the slave cylinder (make sure the bike is in neutral first) and run the bike to watch for oil seeping by the clutch rod?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterD
No, it is NOT fairly easy. It is a real PITA to just to change a stupid O-ring. And replacing the parts cost over $60 the last time I checked.

But it does NOT sound like it is even a possibility on ttexastim's bike:
o It is a common problem on the single-pin crank 1100s that Honda put out from 1995 through 2000. His bike is a 1990.
o He specifically identified the leak as coming from the area of the slave cylinder. The guide plug leak will typically drip oil from the lower radiator hose at the front of the engine.

All in all, I'd say that the guide plug is the least likely source and not worth the effort to investigate. But if a thorough investigation is on the agenda, this thread has the links to the necessary info. (Finding the info in the service manual is confusing -- it requires jumping from chapter to chapter without a clearly-defined sequence.)

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Where exactly is the guide-plug?
===========================================
With the left side cover removed, Left side of the engine lower front, the side cover holds it in place by pushing on it when assembled.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexastim
Where exactly is the guide-plug?
Part #4 in the image found here.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

You know ... now that I think of it. When I ran the bike yesterday looking for the leak ... the oil dripped off the engine right between the coolant hose and the engine block on the bottom. I saw a minor bit of oil slowly seeping out of the slave cylinder and I figured it was just making it's way down the engine to that point. What is the easiest way to inspect if you need a new guide plug o-ring? Do you have to remove that coolant hose?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexastim
You know ... now that I think of it. When I ran the bike yesterday looking for the leak ... the oil dripped off the engine right between the coolant hose and the engine block on the bottom. I saw a minor bit of oil slowly seeping out of the slave cylinder and I figured it was just making it's way down the engine to that point. What is the easiest way to inspect if you need a new guide plug o-ring? Do you have to remove that coolant hose?
No, the coolant hose stays put. Read the temporary patch instructions from the first link in the seventh message in the thread I posted earlier; if that doesn't have enough info (and photos) to get you started on diagnosing a guide plug leak then post back here. Just remember that ALL of the instructions and part numbers listed in the repair instructions are for the 1100 single-pin crank engine that was offered from 1995 through 2000 on ACEs and Aeros.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ttexastim,
It's more than likely the guide plug that's your problem. Do a search for "Guide plug" here on the forum and you'll wee what I'm talking about (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
Once you figure out where it is, you have to get at it, which is not hard with the correct tools. It's tricky to remove it, but if it's leaking, it's probably already lose. It is supposed to be held in with the cover that goes over it and held in place with a small tang that sticks our from it and goes against the cover. Once it turns, it can losen up and come out enough to let oil run out.
Once you get it out, replace the o-ring. I took my old o-ring to the hardware store and matched it up with a new one (buy a couple just incase, they're CHEAP)
Use a good RTV sealant (or Goop as I did) to seal it and keep it from turning lose again. That's it! Put everything back together and your back in business. I replaced any other seals as long as I had it apart (shift shaft seal and clutch slave-rod seal) so you may want to do that too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.