Difference between an 1100 and a 700/750/800 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Difference between an 1100 and a 700/750/800

I have been thinking about picking up a VT1100 or the VT1100 Spriit and was wondering what the difference is from this bike compared to a mid 80's (86-88) VT700/VT750/VT800. I know there is a difference in the engine, but what about the frame length, seat height, comfort, power at cruising speeds, etc. From looking at some pictures, I noticed that the foot rests are a few inches further forward on the 1100's compared to that of the 87 700, but is this the only difference.
mlavin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Differences

The 1100 are a little bigger and definitely heavier. The seat heights are about the same. I prefer the slightly forward controls of the newer bikes, but some people don't. Besides that, there isn't that much different other then it's a whole lot easier to find parts and add ons for the newer bikes.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

the 1100 will be a step up. I have a 1983 VT750 and my friend has a 86 VT1100 and when comparing the comfort his wins hands down. Now granted the 87 700 is going to be more comfortable then my 83 because they fixed some of the things that I think make it uncomfortable. However, it is still a lot shorter than the 1100. and in my opinion is to short to be comfortable. My friends 1100 is 92 inches long from wheel to wheel if that gives you any idea... I also like the seats they put on those bikes. However, this will of course vary for everyone depending on height and riding style etc. the 1100 fits me about perfect and I'm between 5 11 and 6 foot. my friend always says he wishes his highway pages were out another inch or 2 and hes just over 6 foot.

I'm actually thinking of getting a 85 or 86 because I like them so much. and that was the last year they put a 5speed in them. in 87 they started doing the 4speed until the late 90's. Which in my opinion was the second dumbest move honda has made. The first dumbest would be getting away from the old shadow looks and putting out the new "sportier" looks they are doing now which I'm not a big fan of.

Anyway I have this helps in your decision
chrismeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Whytie

I've also been curious about the power difference between the newer 1100's and the 80's 700's. I've read that the our old 700's produce the same if not more HP than 1100's. But I guess they measure the power from the wheel now so I don't know what the actual numbers are. Course we also have to remember where that power is on the power band.

95 VT1100 - 60HP
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...hadow_1995.php

85 VT1100 - 67HP
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...addow_1985.php

84 VT700 62 hp
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hon...700_c_1984.php
Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for everybody's thoughts! That is what I was wondering. I have an 87 700 now and I can ride it for long distances, it just feels to me that I am a little cramped up (6' tall) I like riding my bike, but I just feel like everything is so close to me when I ride. I guess I will have to test drive an 1100 to see how it feels.

When did they start and stop putting the 4 speeds in the 1100's?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feel the same way with my 83 750. but I love the 1100 I have just about decided to get one.

I know 86 was the last year they did the 5 speed. starting in 87 they put the 4 speed in until sometime in the late 90's I know the 98 had a 4 speed but I think it might have also come in a 5 speed.

Here is a good wiki page on the 1100's and bikes in general
http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VT1100C
it says from 87 to 98 was all 4 speeds but I'm pretty sure I have seen some on ebay and stuff that were 5 speeds.
chrismeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have seen the 5 speeds also. In Whytie's post above, where he had some links to different cycles, the link to the Bikez 95 VT1100 states that the 95's have 5-speeds - and I believe that it also says 5 speeds for the 94's. I bet it is a bike to bike option.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My 1985 Shadow VT1100 is very comfortable (I'm 6'-1"), it's a 5-speed, and it has more HP than the newer models. The '85-'86 bikes had about 78HP and it changed in '87. My friend's 2001 Shadow Sabre 1100 is slower than mine as I can take him going up hills.

I like the visual lines of the older bikes too. Their styling is very similar to the Magna.

FYI, I believe the bikez.com link is misinformed on the HP of the 1985 bike. My manual says it has 78HP and I am faster than my friend who's bike has 67+/-HP. The picture in the below link shown on bikez.com is mine (before my frame-off fun began) - I just had to add that in there...

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/browse...21553&pageno=5
mikanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlexM

1996 VT1100C Shadow was the last year with 4 speed. Starting with 1997 all 1100 have 5 speeds.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

The following article by Bob Maynard does a great job of explaining the Shadow history.

The Shadow Years (by Bob Maynard)

The introduction of the first "Shadow" models was in 1983. It was the result of years of
development and synergies by Honda to address the needs of the American market. I believe most of our readers will agree it is the best bike Honda has made to date.

The "VT500C" introduced this year was available in Candy Wineberry Red or Black. The
identifying features of this model are the painting of both the fuel tank and rear fenders. The side covers are chrome and engine covers black. The Black and Red "Shadow 500" decal was on the side cover with a gold outline from '83 to '86. The headlight was chrome and rectangular and had a single horn. The engine was 491cc OHC 3-valve, liquid cooled V-Twin with a six-speed, shaft drive transmission from

'83 to '86.

The "VT750C" also introduced this year was also available in either Black or Candy Wineberry Red. Special identifying features of this model are the round head lamp, instrument casings and the chromed front fender. The backrest was standard equipment. The painted side covers had the "Shadow 750" decal. The engine is a 749cc SOHC 3-valve Liquid Cooled V-Twin with a six-speed shaft drive transmission.

The "VT500C' was available in Candy Scorpio Red or Black. The identifying features include the fuel tank and rear fenders painted the same. The front fender is chrome and this year the side covers and engine covers were painted black. The black and red "Shadow 500" decal was on the side cover with a gold outline. The headlight was chrome and rectangular and there was a single horn. The engine is virtually the same as the '83 model.

The "VT700C" was introduced this year as a direct result of increased tariffs placed on Japan's imports. The U.S. raised the import tariffs on engine sizes above 701cc's. So the engine size was reduced from a 750cc to 700cc to get the bikes into the U.S. This years model was available in either Black or Candy Scorpio Red on the tank, side covers and rear fender. Special identifying features of this model are the round head lamp and instrument casings with a chromed front fender. The front wheel bore a dual disk brake system and dual horns mounted on the front. The painted side covers had the "Shadow 700" decal. The engine is a 694cc SOHC 3-Valve Liquid Cooled V-Twin with a six-speed, shaft drive transmission from 1984 to '87. New hydraulic valve adjusters and twin plug cylinder heads were used from 1984 to '87.

The "VT500C" model was available in either Black or Candy Glory Red. The head lamp was now round and chromed. This model continued with the dual horns. A two piece seat with an integrated backrest was incorporated. Starting this year, the engine covers were polished chrome and the fins enlarged. The "Honda" tank decal was curved instead of straight.

The "VT700C" model was available in either Black or Candy Glory Red. Special identifying features of this model year included the polished chrome engine side covers. The painted side covers had the "Shadow 700" decal. The engine is the same as the '84 model year.

The "VT1100C" model was introduced and available in either a two-tone Black and Red or Black and Silver tank with black fenders. The side cover is painted two tone black and silver. The "Shadow" side cover decal is silver. The dual horns are still located on the front and turning indicators are square shaped. A few gauges are located on the tank. The new engine is a 1039cc SOHC Liquid Cooled V-Twin with a 5-speed, shaft drive transmission for '85 and '86.

The "VT500C" model was available in either Black or a new Candy Scorpio Red. Everything else was virtually the some for the '85 model.

The "VT700C" model was available in either Black or Candy Brilliant Red. On this year's model, the front and rear fenders and tank were all painted the same color. The rear fender took on a flair look over the rounded style. The "Honda Wing" and "Shadow" decals were speckled gold and orange. The engine is the same as the '84 model with the right engine cover graphic painted black. The mufflers were a little lower and changed from the flair look to a more straight style. The rear foot peg support bracket became solid and the back rest was absent this year. The cast wheels changed from a 10-spoke to a 5-spoke design and the access covers were chromed.

The "VT1100C" model was available in either Black or a two-toned Black and Silver tank. The side cover is painted two-tone black and silver on both color options. The "Shadow" side cover decal was changed to gold. The engine is the same as the '85 model.

The "VT700C" model was available in either Black or Candy Glory Red on a black frame. This year's model changed the "Honda" tank decal to black with a gold outline. The "Honda Wing" decal was changed to brown, orange and yellow. The engine is the same as the '84 model but with the right engine cover graphic not painted. The side covers are chrome, 5 spoke cast wheels with a single front disk brake.

The "VT1100C" model took on a brand new look with a lower 26-inch high seat`, a longer 65 inch wheel base, a large 3.4 gallon fuel tank and a 41 mm extended front fork design. Both mufflers were run along the right side and a small back rest was brought back. It was available in either Black or Candy Wineberry Red. The tank is striped in silver. The frame color is black and the spark plug wires are yellow through '88. The engine is a 1093cc SOHC 3-Valve, liquid cooled V-twin with a 4-speed, shaft drive transmission.

The "VT800C" model replaced the "VT700C". The paint options were either two-toned Black & Candy Glory Red or Candy Wineberry Red & Dry Silver Metallic. On the Black unit, the "Shadow" tank decal is silver and on the Red unit the "Shadow" tank decal is gold. The engine was increased to a 800cc SOHC 3-Valve liquid cooled V-Twin with a 4-speed, shaft drive transmission.

The "VT1100C" model was available in Black and a new Candy Wineberry Red color. The fuel tank stripe was deleted this year. The frame was color matched to the tank and fenders. The spark plug wires went back to black from the yellow color.

The "VLX" "VT600C" was a new model out this year. The color options were Candy Wave Blue
and Candy Wineberry Red. The new double-cradle steel frame is color matched to the body work. It has a single shock rear suspension, a low 27.1 inch seat height and a long 63.2 inch wheelbase with a 2.4 gallon fuel tank. The engine is a 583cc SOHC 3-Valve liquid cooled 52 degree V-Twin with a 4-speed transmission and chain drive. The wheels are spoked.

The "VT1100C" model was available in two colors this year, Candy Wineberry Red and a new Indian Lake Blue Metallic. The seat was improvement was softer and tucked. The "Shadow" tank logo was changed to a script style.

The "VLX" "VT600C" color options for this year was Candy Wave Blue or Candy Wineberry Red
and the "Shadow" tank logo was also changed to a script style.

The "VT1100C" model was available in only one color this year, Indian Lake Blue Metallic. The frame style and engine mechanics have not changed.

The " VLX" "VT600C" was not made this year but did make a come back in 1991.

The "VT1100C" model was not manufactured this year. Seems inventories were still high enough for the '90 models to suspend manufacturing of 91's. Dealerships heard about it and huge orders were placed to buy up all existing stock. The model would return with a vengeance in 1992.

The "VLX" "VT600C" returned this year but in Black only.

The "VT1100c" came back with a grand entrance boasting some new custom two-tone paint options on either a black or silver frame; Spectra Red with black or silver inserts on the tank and fenders, Teal with silver inserts, Cascade Silver Metallic with either teal, red or black inserts, Black with either silver, red or teal inserts. There were two different tank decals also available and the seat began to bare a "Made in the USA" stamp. This year all bikes had the California option of an emissions control device mounted below the radiator.

The "VLX" "VT600C" this year came in a bright Candy Glory Red paint. The engine and body style was retained from the '91 model year.

The "VT1100C" was released with some new color options this year, all on a black frame; a Candy Red with either black, silver or pearl white inserts on fenders and tank, Metallic Teal with either silver, black or pearl white inserts, Black with candy red, silver or pearl white inserts, a darker Red with black inserts and a new South Pacific Blue Metallic with pearl white inserts. Again the two-toned versions could be ordered with one of two different "Shadow" tank decals. Other than the 26 colors and logo options, the basic bike is being cranked out pretty much the same as previous model years.

The "VLX" "VT600C" was rolling out the dealerships in Black this year. The Deluxe version "VT600D" introduced this year added more chrome on the engine cases and valve covers. This model is available in a two-tone Coral Reef Blue with black inserts. The seat on the deluxe version is soft and tucked.

The American Classic Edition was introduced. It featured a 5-speed transmission, more retro styling that the standard with a full rear fender and induced vibrations from a single crank engine. The model also lost about 10 horsepower, much to the dismay of some owners.

This was the last year for the "standard" VT1100C with its 4-speed transmission.

The Standard was replaced with the Spirit model VT1100C1 with more chrome on the engine ala the ACE but the same basic duel-crank pin engine as the standard (only with a 5-speed transmission). An ACE Tourer was also introduced based on the Spirit engine but the ACE styling.

The Aero came into being, again based on the ACE engine with the single crank, but a larger two into one exhaust and more retro styling. In the US, the ACE 750 was also introduced.

Honda Shadow Sabre was introduced, based on the Honda VT1100 engine. The most notable feature was the front cast aluminum wheel.

Some Shadow models used chain drive, but the shaft drive returned in 2004.

Throughout these years the VLX remained essentially unchanged mechanically but the models and the options were changed yearly, as they were on all models.

While many of the manufacturers began to expand 1500cc class model lines, Honda opted to replace the basic Gold Wing Interstate with a basic Valkryie with six carbs and boosted engine performance. In 1999 a dressed up Tourer model was added as the Interstate. The Shadow line remains the smaller V-Twins at Honda, one of the most complete lines of V-twin Cruisers on the market, and arguably the best engineered.

Source: Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide; American Honda
Motor Co., Inc. 1998

Bubba1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement