Gear shift linkage bent.... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gear shift linkage bent....

Has anyone ever had any issues with the linkage that runs between the gearshift pedal and the gearshift drum being bent??

It makes it tricky sometimes getting into some of the lower gears from time to time.

I'm thinking about replacing it and want to confirm that it is part #14 in the attached picture for my 2001 Honda Shadow ACE 750, correct??

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...76/Group/PEDAL

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Aka...Gary....
alidog1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

looks right
At Honda it's about $7.00
Old 07-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's a straight rod so why don't you remove it, lay it on a hard flat surface and tap it with a hammer until straight. Looks like it would be an easy fix but I've been wrong before............................just ask my wife.

2005 Aero

1972 Honda XL250 Motorsport
2006 Rebel - daughter (Now gone)
1974 XL100
thunderglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

+1 on straightening it, take your time and get it as stright as you can because once it's bent it has a weak area that can bend again, the only time you could bend it is going to first the rest of the time your pulling up except for down shifts which don't require any real pressure, sometimes getting into frist can be a little troublesome but if you just let the clutch out a bit is will aline things and it will go right in,,,,,most of the time.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderglass
It's a straight rod so why don't you remove it, lay it on a hard flat surface and tap it with a hammer until straight. Looks like it would be an easy fix but I've been wrong before............................just ask my wife.

We already did ask her. She said to ask you if you remember that time you were standing in the woods talking to yourself and she wasn't there to hear you. She said you were wrong then too!
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would suggest a hard, flat, wooden surface, so you don't damage the threads on the ends.

CB

01 Spirit 1100
Link to the Forum Rules
CleoBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenreiter
Quote:

We already did ask her. She said to ask you if you remember that time you were standing in the woods talking to yourself and she wasn't there to hear you. She said you were wrong then too!
What she failed to say was that I picked up that bad little habbit from HER!

I do hear voices at times.....................but then I sober up.

2005 Aero

1972 Honda XL250 Motorsport
2006 Rebel - daughter (Now gone)
1974 XL100
thunderglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
If I ask her will she straighten my rod too...

Sorry couldn’t resist
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

That left & right hand threaded rod isn't all that thick in diameter. Easy fix if you don't scratch it up. Place it between two softwood blocks, (each at the outer ends but neither in the middle,) and progressively bump it once or twice at exactly it's area of deflection with a rubber mallet until it's realigned. Nuts are matched to each end.

H. L. Altimus
2003 VT1100C2 Sabre
hlaltimus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt17
Quote:
If I ask her will she straighten my rod too...

Sorry couldn’t resist
I think you could have if you tried.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.