VT500C sidecover question - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default It looked bigger in the picture!

To answer your question TorontoBoy..
I saw this windscreen for sale on craigslist ($50) and "in the pictures" it looked like it was @ 18-20"
It also had nice solid chrome down tube clamps (which lead me to believe it was bigger)
I chuckled when I first saw it... the photos should have been labeled "shown actual size"... but I saw potential, it was well made and in really nice shape.
After monkeying around for a bit, I removed those nice solid chrome clamps and mounted the "mini" windscreen directly to the headlight mounts.
It's only about 11" wide and @ 13" tall.
I thnk it gives the front of the bike a tight look, while suppling just enough wind break to take care of that chest blast.

Still feeln the wnd in my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default VT 500C SIDECOVER

I'm new to the cycling world and have made my debut on a 500VT C. I have the same hot re-start problems and for now have solved the problem by carrying a portable battery charger in my bag. Maybe not the preferred solution but until I decide if I wanna keep the bike it's saving some boot leather.
nicholjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default Purple HAZE up and running

Went out and picked up a new battery and wouldn't you know it... fired up right away. Well at least the one plug wire I had a plug attached to fired. I was so eager to test the new battery I forgot to reconnect the plug wires and one of the coil wires... DOH!
Fired up right away, once I got everything sorted back out.
Still having trouble with the hot start, battery tests strong and is charging properly. I'm going to ride a couple days before I take the starter apart... need some pleasure before pain.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #24 (permalink)
mxs

Default Re: Purple HAZE up and running

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomartini
Still having trouble with the hot start, battery tests strong and is charging properly. I'm going to ride a couple days before I take the starter apart... need some pleasure before pain.
It's the coils as hinted few times before ...
mxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

VT500 with hot start issues = bad coils...spend the $150 (give or take a few $) and you are going to be a lot happier.
J3rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Default Purple Haze update

It's been a while, so I thought I'd update the forum on "Purple Haze"
Solved the starting problem.
1) Even though I had purchased a new battery, I went out and bought a dry (new) battery and had them fill it and I took it home and charged it nice and slow. That was problem 1.
2) Replaced the cracked coil with another I had tested as OK
3) Replaced the airfilter. Definitely made a difference in performance.
4) Upgraded the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, air lines from the carb
5) Pulled apart the kill switch and cleaned the contact surface (glad those are meant to come apart). That was problem 2.
As a result "Purple Haze" starts when I need her to start. Though you really got to be careful about giving it too much gas when it's hot.
But overall, I'm very happy with the old girl. Insurance runs out November 1st and it's into the garage for a teardown and fresh paint over the winter. Will post some pics of that process as I am having my brother paint them for me (He works as a painter at a helicopter repair shop) he's got access to some uber paint options for me. Still riding to work everyday though the past week has been too rainy.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out with sage advice and wild theories.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

I have just started making my mould for the VT500 C left side cover, it should be ready in a few days for testing.. Will load to ebay once i have a good replica that i am happy with.
taureanbull66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Now loaded to ebay..
taureanbull66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Garage

I'm still chasing a battery gremlin as it won't start, unless I let it sit overnight. If I try to start it after running it for a period of time, it sounds like it doesn't have enough juice to start.

Battery is new (thinking I might find one with higher amps)
Pulse generator replaced
Coils test good
Charging output tests good
Cleaned all ground connections

TRY YOUR VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Had the same problem with mine. If your around the Toronto area Burlington cycle is your cheapest bet. 140 bucks
Turkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement